Stalking

TJD Notts

Reaction score
Does anyone use worms anymore for stalking Carp?

Most people i see at my local water seem to think that only boilies and pellet catch and that worm is a waste of time, they are missing out on some of the best action as a natural dropped on the nose of a fish will result in a pick up more times than with a boilie etc in my experience.

Also, very few people seem to have the energy to stalk their quarry prefering to wait until the carp have done a lap of the water before coming across their bait! I'm sure that if people were more willing to move onto showing fish (not just stalking) that they would catch more.

We are all guilty of carrying too much tackle so i have decided this year to clear out what i don't use and carry all my stalking stuff in a 5 litre bucket which will also double as a seat along with my rod/ reel, landing net and unhooking mat and see what comes my way.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Less is more ,should we start a campaign,no lets not .Lets leave them to catch up on there sleep Barbel .I carp fished for twenty years without an optonic so I know what you mean .

C

Cakey

why is there this thing with carp anglers

we do it for a reason

1/........worms are good but other fish like them too

2/........boilies dont catch pike perch roach blah blah blah

3/........we are targeting bigger fish than what you are fishing for

and I thought we wanted angling unity.........................yeah right

and what Ive seen of it barbel anglers have bigger circus's than carp anglers

do your own thing and leave us alone .....ta

C

Cakey

that should read ....leave us real carp anglers alone....................ta

TJD Notts

Reaction score
Thought this might start a them versus us situation, it wasn't meant to, i just wanted to know how others felt.

I'm not knocking the use of boilies/ pellets as i use them when targeting Barbel but again i move around until i find the fish. I know some waters have very low stocking levels but even when fish are spotted how many people can be bothered to up sticks and move onto the fish or follow a new wind etc?

Keith M

Reaction score
I sometimes use worms for stalking Carp but I carry a syringe so that I can inflate the head of the worm with air; making it float with its tail dangling enticingly.

It works very well for Carp,especially effective on a water that sees lots of floating dog biscuits and floating boiliesetc..

TJD Notts

Reaction score
Rather than risk stabbing myself with said needle i tend to use a bit of red foam to get the same affect, works with Perch too i've found.

Agent no.9

Reaction score
Free lined lob worm in the margins in the evening in great, the bigger the lob worms the better.Last year had a 15lb 8oz mirror off a local pond just sitting quitley behind a rod and line fishing 18 inches fromwiththe bank bait positioned in the root system of an over hanging beech tree../forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif.

TJD Notts

Reaction score
Size isn't everything as I'm sure you know Cakey! And the big'uns do frequent the margins and a worm dropped in front of them is more likely to get a pick up than say a boilie. You can also single out the bigger fish seeing as you can see them whereas if you're fishing 100 yards plus you haven't got a clue what's interested.

If size is your thing and you want a bit of excitement try stalking the margins. Seeing a big fish snaffle your bait is really heart in mouth stuff!!!

C

Cakey

thats why I said my way is better ......Ive had a 40 from 12" 0ut on my pod (well back)

buzzer on and me wellback in case I spook them

both ways work !/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Reaction score
I went to a small club water on Friday , fishing for tench , not a touch but carp all on the top , it looks like it may be a scorcher today so i will wait until most of the blokes come off the lake about 1-30ish and nip over and try a bit of stalking , I love it , /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gifminimum gear , short sessions and in my mind the best buzz when you catch .

Agent no.9

Reaction score
On over pressured waters sometimes just the little things like, changing a bait to a natural and presenting itin the marginsin the evening or a night can make all the difference.Yes you can sometimes get pestered by smaller fish but sometimes thiscan induce the bigger fish to move in and feed.