traces,rigs

ron porter

Reaction score
ron newbie here any tips on making traces,rigs and what do i need.just started

sea fishing again after about 20yrs and its all so very different now

thanks ron

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
All depends on the type of Sea Fishing mate. Best advice is pop along to were you plan to fish and check out the sort of gear the lads are using and rigs. If asked politly most will only gladly share the info. Don't forget the local tackle shop also.

Russell Welsh

Reaction score
hey i mostly use a 2 hooked cliped down or a one hooked cliped down to get that bit of an extra distance when u cast a up and over works well i find if there aint spider crabs about. there are lots of rigs u can make or by i find the best thing to do is buy a few and just copy them

jasper or big man

Reaction score
hullo ron i am also fishing again after a long lay i bought some ready made ones then copied them to my own ideas

Bob Paulley

Reaction score
A super sensitive rig, which will detect the bite of the smallest Dab is an adaptation of the paternoster.

I invented it for use in choppy, shallowish waters, to be used with a weighted float.

The float is left free-running up the line, along the shock leader. The shock leader knot should be big enough to stop it.

The adapted paternoster is made with a three-way swivel, one bead,a 1oz bomb and a suitable hook, for the species to be hunted.

Tie one of the in-line swivel loops to the shock leader end.

Tie a 6ft length of leader to the other in-line loop.

Feed the leading end of the leader through the bomb loop and back through the remaining free swivel loop. and the bead.

Tie a figure of eight knot approximately 3ft from the end of the leader, then attach the hook.

When the rig is suspended, you will note the weight hangs in an 18" loop. When the hook is pulled, you will note that the tension is about 1/2 the weight of the bomb (simple mechanics).

When the rig is baited and cast , gently tighten the line, until the float is braced against the shock leader knot and is vertical in the water.

There is never any doubt about a bite with this type of rig. The float is either visible, or submerged. Obviously, when it disappears, the fish is on the hook. The tension on the hook, under bite conditions is virtually nil, which means the fish will happily grab it, without the usual suck it and see.

My brother in law and I used to have great fun catching large bags of small Dab (which make really good eating) when he was a youngster. I devised the rig for him to be able to detect bites using his kid's 6ft solid glass spinning rod, so he always came home with a tiddler or two.

I have since used it to catch those elusive flatties, especially Dover Sole.