having some trouble piking (need some help)

cuperjames

Reaction score
i'm having some trouble catching a pike, i've been trying to get one since christmas and not even had one run. I've tried several venues with 2 lines out one on a standard dead bait/live bait with a float and the other on a popped up ledger dead bait/live bait. i have used different baits on each water such as: half a mackerel, roach(live and dead), herring and i even thought i'd give a perch a go but i've not even had a take? i've also tried spinning but once again not had anything. Can some one help me out please ? what am i doing wrong? i'm determined to get one! If someone can give me some tips/tactics as such it would be much appreciated. Thanks alot, james:)

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Pike fishing has been hard going since Christmas so I would not worry to much a lot of people are finding it hard at the moment.

BarryC

Reaction score
As tinker says piking seems to have been hard lately. I know someone will come on and tell you how many doubles and twenties he had last session but generally seems to be slow.
Is anyone else catching on the waters you're fishing. If everyone else is catching and you're not then I'de worry.

B

binka

It is a common problem at the moment with the lack of predator action being linked to the air pressure in another thread and i'm certainly wondering that this might be the case as i've just had three very hard blanks over a period of high pressure.

I will be using a single rod, more mobile approach next time out but you'll probably find that you will get three or four when they do eventually come back on.

I certainly don't think you're doing anything wrong but might be worth taking a roving approach to see if you can drop something on their noses.

the editor

Reaction score
I'll go along with the slow piking issues, although I have had fish on both of my last two outings it has certainly been strange. I really wish on my last outing that I had gone to travel light and kept on the move although my fish on that occasion took deadbait herring very confidently I got the feeling that the rest of the pike population went into hiding. Good fishing on your next outing:) ed

micksmith39

Reaction score
Not just bad weather thats making pike fishing harder mate,theres a lot less pike about. think we all know why

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Not just bad weather thats making pike fishing harder mate,theres a lot less pike about. think we all know why

There is that to it but on my club water which is enclosed in a metropolitan area heavily bailiffed that is not the peoplem. on monday last I counted 11 pike including a couple of mid doubles non of them showed the slightest interest in wobbled dead or lure and they all looked plump plenty of fry in the margins but very few strikes seen in the course of fishing roving all day . Useually average 3-4 fish fished two other half days from before first light four a total of four jacks all taken early.

terry m

Reaction score
It has been toughm, but some early signs of things changing in this part of the world - thankfully!

You gotta be in it to win it!

graham472

Reaction score
Very suprising that you have failed using live bait tactics.Usually find Jacks very quickly.Dont know what type of waters you have been trying,but if still waters i would try a River on Canal as they usually are more reliable places if not in flood or fished out by the you know who`s.If all else fails give it a break for a week or two to recharge your motivation.

cuperjames

Reaction score
thanks alot for getting back to me guys:), good to hear it's not just me getting blanks haha. :p it's really doing my nut in, but hay ho thats what angling is all about. ;) And yes Binka a roaming approach could be a good one to give a go mate, i might try a spinner up and down the river weaver see if that gives me some luck. Also does anyone know any good pike waters i could give a go round knutsford/northwich area? preferably a day ticket water? :)
James

keora

Reaction score
If I were you I would only take one rod, and leave all non essential tackle at home. Move swims after an hour if you don't get any takes. The aim is to fish lots of swims and show a bait to as many pike as you can.

When fishing, regularly recast, every five or ten minutes, to different areas of the swim. Retrieve slowly and see if there's a pike following. I often get pike on float fished deadbaits while retrieving for the next cast.

I don't find pike fishing very productive in prolonged cold spells. like this week. Similarly my results are poor when fishing flooded, heavily coloured rivers.

Lure fishing occasionally catches pike in the depths of winter, although I think bait fishing still has the edge. I get more pike on lures in summer and autumn.

You can get blank days pike fishing. If you get a run of consecutive blanks, it's better to change waters or try different techniques.

Last edited:

jimlad

Reaction score
My recommendation at times like this would be to be very mobile. I fish the rivers and fish swims for no longer than 20mins, and them move on. The last 2 weekends I've walked about 5 miles of bank and had a 19 and a 12. Really hard work but worth the effort

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

micksmith39

Reaction score
There is that to it but on my club water which is enclosed in a metropolitan area heavily bailiffed that is not the peoplem. on monday last I counted 11 pike including a couple of mid doubles non of them showed the slightest interest in wobbled dead or lure and they all looked plump plenty of fry in the margins but very few strikes seen in the course of fishing roving all day . Useually average 3-4 fish fished two other half days from before first light four a total of four jacks all taken early.

3or 4 pike in a day and fry in the margins, sounds like paradise to me mate. IVE had about 60 trips since october,(lost my job) caught 21 pike,about 5 of them were repeat captures! still looking forward to next trip tho