Your First Fishing Books

David Dalton

Reaction score
When you were given (or bought) your first fishing books as a youngster, what were they, and do you still look at them now?

As a kid in the seventies, I had Freshwater Fishing by Bernard Venables, The Observers Book Of Coarse Fishing by Peter Wheat and Freshwater Fishing by Colin Gamble.

I still have the first two and look at them from time to time - the last is long gone, chucked away by my Mum I expect!

B

binka

I have two in a box up in the loft brought me by my Grandma in the very early eighties... couldn't tell you what either are called but keep meaning to go up there and bring them down for a read.

If I remeber rightly they're the ones where every winter angler seems to be a stout fella wearing roll top wellies and a wooley pom pom hat!

barbelboi

Reaction score
First two fishing books, both birthday presents, 1958 1st ed 'Angling in earnest' Fred Taylor and 'Walker's Pitch' 1st ed 1959. First fishing book ever read was my father's copy of BB's bedside book (still got them all among others)
Jerry

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
First two fishing books, both birthday presents, 1958 1st ed 'Angling in earnest' Fred Taylor and 'Walker's Pitch' 1st ed 1959. First fishing book ever read was my father's copy of BB's bedside book (still got them all among others)
Not a bad pair to start with Jerry. The first book I read was a book my father had by a man called Arris. Can't remember the exact name but I guess from the early 50's. First book I bought was Angling in Earnest, Still read bits occasionally. I found Fred J much easier to read and relate to than Walker.

Stu

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My first angling book was bought for me by my grandparents in the christmas of 1954 it is Bernard Vensbles Guide To ANGLING WATERS South-East England . My Nan took me to Sowerbutts in commercial road in the march of that year on my 7th birthday to buy my first fishing outfit at a cost of 30/- on coming out of the shop she said to me do not tell your granfather how much that was. On arriving home my grandfathers comment was another five minute wonder the only time that he was ever wrong . My next books were bought mostly by myself The How To CATCH THEM series kingfisher by the Angling times wich I still have a all but one complete set . I have a angling library of over 300 books and still adding to it on a regular basis.

Reaction score
Borrowed from the mobile library on a virtual permanent basis - "No Need to Lie" by DW.

Owned -Observers Book, a little Paper-back on angling by Brian Clarke, Colin Willock's Encyclopaedia of Angling and "The Hippo Book of Angling".

The last book I have referred to in the past...particularly two photos - one of Bill Keal holding a big carp and another of a huge pike being returned to Hornsey Mere by Ron Clay. Those photos have been burned into my synapses ever since....and it was a sheer genuine delight when I first met Ron to talk about the picture. Not often we have the opportunity to meet the heroes of our childhood.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
My first books, in no particular order.

Angling Ways, by E. Marshall Hardy.

Walker's Pitch, by Richard Walker.

Angling in Earnest, by Fred J. Taylor.

Drop me a Line, by Walker & Ingham.

And last but not least, my most cherished angling book given to me by my Grandfather, on my thirteenth birthday:-

My Fishing Days and Fishing Ways, by J. W. Martin. written in 1906.

I have since collected every book penned by J. W. Martin such was the impact.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
And last but not least, my most cherished angling book given to me by my Grandfather, on my thirteenth birthday:-

My Fishing Days and Fishing Ways, by J. W. Martin. written in 1906.

And what a great book that is !

My first books

Come Fishing with me : Colin Willock
Fishing with Float & Fly : William Childs

Not great literary works but as a kid I adored these and knew them virtually off by heart.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I won the school's English prize in 1962 or 3 and got Fred Taylor's Favourite Swims as a prize. Books were things borrowed from libraries, not owned in those days. I also got a rod for Xmas but as it was the worst freeze-up in living memory, it was June before I got to use it.

terry m

Reaction score
For me it was Crabtree also> I think it was Mr Crabtree goes Pike Fishing. I struggled to catch any pike in those dim and distant days of yore, but actually the advice in those publications is timeless, I saw a copy recently and most of it holds true today!

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The Angler's Handbook
Especially written for SPRATT'S by a well-known angling expert
5th impression October 1958 cost 1/-NET

Did you ever use SPRATTS SIlVER CLOUD in the cloth bag at the end of the day I stored mine in a cocoa tin.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I did, but can't rmember storing it.
I also used their ready made hempseed too, they also had a ready made paste

I never used a whole bag in one go I can remember opening the tin and there being a bit of a growth I must have been about ten. I think I remember the paste in a wax pot with added daphnia seems to ring a bell do not remember the hempseed though.

Terry D

Reaction score
The Billy Lane Encyclopaedia of Float Fishing. Soon lost and never seen again but I bought a new copy from Lanes of Coventry when visiting the shop a few years ago. Didn't realise they'd had it reprinted. Still a cracking read.

chav professor

Reaction score
My Uncle gave me a copy of Crabtree and also Ladybird book of Coarse fishing. I gained much inspiration from both books.........

peterjg

Reaction score
My dad (a keen fisherman) died when I was a kid in 1962. The only fishing book we had was the 1957 LAA members book - I used to look at the maps in it and wish I could fish the venues in it - I still have the book.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The Billy Lane Encyclopaedia of Float Fishing. Soon lost and never seen again but I bought a new copy from Lanes of Coventry when visiting the shop a few years ago. Didn't realise they'd had it reprinted. Still a cracking read.

An absalute must it is my bible as far as float fishing goes.