PACK BAITS

gripper

Reaction score
JUST BEEN READING AN ARTICLE ON PACK BAITS IN THIS MONTHS A,T CARP MAG. HAS ANYBODY EVER TRIED THIS METHOD,AND KNOW OF ENGLISH ALTERNATIVES TO THE AMERICAN INGREDIANTS USED. FOR EXAMPLE GRITS,KOOLAID,KARO SYRUP,JELLO. IS THIS METHOD WORTH USING OR JUST ANOTHER ARTICLE FILLER FOR THE MAGAZINES. ANY INFO APPRECIATED.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Gripper have a search, was a thread on this just a few weeks ago.

gripper

Reaction score
THANKS FOR HELP. ANYBODY WITH ANY NEW IDEAS ON THE SUBJECT. LAST THREAD MOSTLY WAS SLAUGHTERING MR BIG.

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
By the way gripper, THERE'S NO NEED TO SHOUT MATE, we can hear okay thanks.

Well, M'Lord might have a problem after all that port.

N

Nobby C (ACA)

As previously stated in the initial thread, its no different to method feeder, pva bags, sticks,swimfeeder, the only difference being geographical.

Mr Big got flack for sticking to his guns, in all fairness, he had enjoyed success fishing this way, he said Frank Warwick enjoyed success using this method, and for that conviction he was given stick.

American carp fishing is far removed from English practice so far, pity that he was pilloried for his convictions, self-deprecation is always socially acceptable in the UK as opposed to what is deemed unseemly over-confidence.

It would appear FM has lost an overseas contributer because he held faith in a practice WE felt was old hat and not applicable to currently practised theory.

T

trev matthews (100M bronze)

oh well never mind then, one lost american wont do us an harm/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

gripper

Reaction score
Me thinks this thread has gone a bit off the intended track, im open to new ideas and if i can learn new methods and mixes to put a few more carp on the bank all well and good. the original question was about english alternatives to american foods, shall we start again.

T

Gripper take a walk around the supermarket.

Delete Grits insert porridge

Delete Koolaid insert nesquick

delete karo syrup insert treacle

delete jello insert jelly crystals

delete minute rice insert pot rice (pot noodle type thing)

i used to make a stogy groundbait for fishing the big,deep rivers of Germany using breakfast ceareals, if i mixed it to thick it would stay in the feeder so I would imagine it would be excellent squashed around a method feeder or just around the lead as the americans do.

the world (supermarket) is your Oyster(cockle)

gripper

Reaction score
thanks trev, some good info there.How did you get on with this type of ceareal mix in germany? As i understand,this type of mixture for pack baits,uses ingredients that act as a binder but also as a breaker,hard enough to withstand casting but within 2-3 minutes has totally broken down. like u say supermarkets/oriental stores are a alladins cave for new mixes,just got to make a few up and see what happens.

T

I was using a couple of packets of weetabix crushed up and a packet of porridge oats (with the jock bloke on the front) and then to stiffen it up a packet of rice krispies (cos rice sticks together) if i wanted bigger bits to break off in the current (after chub) I would substitute sugar puffs for rice krispies. If i wanted a flavour i would mix it up with bannana milkshake.

Worked a treat on the Weser and the Lippe

Istill use a couple of sugar puffs in my pva bags and method feeders so that I have an aiming point when the come to the surface for any extra balls of feed.