Greys Bewick Owner?

bub81

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone here own a Bewick centrepin and if so, would you mind confirming whether it has microdrag please?

I know it has a feature called Adjustable Thrust Bearing, whatever that is.

I would be very grateful for an answer (no response from Greys).

Thanks in advance,
Malc

sam vimes

Reaction score
I had one of the early "Made in England" Bewicks. It certainly didn't have any form of drag beyond the (on or off) ratchet. From what I've seen of the newer version it's the same design but without Made in England stamped on the backplate.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Mine is made in England, just got the box out and read the bumf.
No mention of any drag at all. It just has a ratchet or freespool.

trotter2

Reaction score
No drag just a centre screw for adjustment of the spool float.
I had one, very over priced IMO.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Got mine second hand for a sensible price. I love it....my favourite trotting pin.

Curious as to what this Adjustable Thrust Bearing might be....particularly as the Bewick is not a bearing pin. Not just a posh name for the central grub screw is it ?

Last edited:

cypryphrenia

Reaction score
I have one in fact I reveiwed them some years ago I'm not sure but there may be a copy of the review on this site.

The adjustable thrust bearing is in fact the central adjusting screw which as others have rightly pointed out is for adjusting the ammount of end float.
Hardy Greys are a pain for the sin of over describing on the Hardy conquest it was described as working on a gyroscopic principle which means in the real world it is a plain bearing centerpin!
There is no other drag apart from the rachet which is no problem as we use our thumb as a very sensitive drag when fishing.
The Bewick is overall not a bad little reel it's better made than the conquest which is the dearer reel and it doesn't have the very silly three handles that some pillock at Hardy Greys lumbered the conquest with.

The only abiding sin with it is that the edges around the reel foot are sharp. now for most people that doesnt matter too much however I found it a pain when I used the reel for demonstrating very long distance Wallis casts as it tends to cut the line, that being said I was going some and most folk wont be casting those sorts of silly distances. To be fair the issue was quickly resolved with a few minutes work with a set of warding files.
I still use mine for grayling trotting in the winter. Doubtless they are overpriced but hey this is rip off Britain where companies work on the principle of what will the market stand rather than what is reasonable. There are better working reels notably the Okuma adventa pro which again I reviewed a number of years ago when they first came on the UK market.
Having said that there are just some days I prefer to use a plain bearing pin and it is one of the cheaper plain bearing pins currently being produced today
I hope this clears a few things up
Cheers
Alan Roe

redfin123

Reaction score
Got mine second hand for a sensible price. I love it....my favourite trotting pin.

Curious as to what this Adjustable Thrust Bearing might be....particularly as the Bewick is not a bearing pin. Not just a posh name for the central grub screw is it ?
Your bang on there mate, just a fancy name for the grub screw. the aerial has one as well.

bub81

Reaction score
Thanks guys (particularly Alan).

I asked as I am after a second 'pin and am keen to have micro-drag (my other 'pin does).

I often use them for stillwater margin work and I find microdrag gives something less to think about. I like to fish silently, without have to keep re-engaging the ratchet or keep one eye or one finger on the spool. I dont Wallis cast much, so just find that it makes things even more effortless. Just a personal preference, I guess.

Probably go for an FC this time, as the posts on this site are very complimentary of them.

Cheers,
Malc

broomy

Reaction score
I have used one for the past three years. The center screw as stated is to adjust the float, ie the amount the spool will move against the top of the pin. To slack and the spool wobbles to tight and the spool slows down. Major problem I have had is the pin coming loose. It wont happen again I put some araldite onto the threads and screwed it back with a small stilson( spindle protected with lots of tape)(yes I know it wont come off, but I don't want it to come off).

trotter2

Reaction score
The best way to stop that is a drop of melted hard wax, just put a drop on the end when you have it adjusted correctly. That way you can remove it for servicing.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I use Pacer Z42 THREAD LOCKER premium grade for any thread locking jobs a 20 fl.oz lasts donkeys never had any problems with grubs coming lose or getting one undone . The wax is a good idea but it could melt in the summer sun. Z42 is formulated to be none permanent so even the smallest threads will always come undone get it from any good modelling shop.

Last edited:

trotter2

Reaction score
Yes thread lock would be an OK idea, but be very careful you get the non permanent (removable) type. And apply only a tiny amount as you don't want it running inside the hub which would be difficult to remove at best.

Never had the hard wax melt, even on a very hot day of course would be different if you left it for a few hours on a hot day in the boot of your car lol.

A tiny drop of candle wax is all you need directly on the top of the adjustable screw.

trotter2

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes thread lock would be an OK idea, but be very careful you get the non permanent (removable) type. And apply only a tiny amount as you don't want it running inside the hub which would be difficult to remove at best.

Never had the hard wax melt, even on a very hot day of course would be different if you left it for a few hours on a hot day in the boot of your car lol.

A tiny drop of candle wax is all you need directly on the top of the adjustable screw.

trotter2

Z42 is non perminent and as you say only a tiny amount is needed I use a pin to apply it have never had a problem . A old boy who made some pins for me put me on to it.

trotter2

Reaction score
Z42 is non perminent and as you say only a tiny amount is needed I use a pin to apply it have never had a problem . A old boy who made some pins for me put me on to it.

Yes sounds good I will have to give it a try was it a Match aerial type you used it on?

Other thing is have you removed the screw again after using it, without damaging the slot or the threads?

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes sounds good I will have to give it a try was it a Match aerial type you used it on?

Other thing is have you removed the screw again after using it, without damaging the slot or the threads?

I service and clean my reels once a year unless I have some sort of accident so yes I have reset the end play several times over the years the oldest pin I have with an end play grub is my G.Y. SUPERB from 62 The reels I had made were a 3 1/2 aerials. Z42 is also fuel proof as it is used on model cars ect so it is not affected by lube.