Is it Just Me

• Thread starter Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)
  • Start date
N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I have noticed over the last few months that the content, number and quality of actual fishing related threads has fallen.Few fishing related threads have taken off recently and most regulars seem to post mainly in bait box on non -fishing related topics than anywhere else. A lot of threads are getting a handful of posts and petering out.

Perhaps its just a lull caused by the close season and it will pick up once the rivers open again.I hope so.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
It's deffo a lull for me Nigel.

Hopefully, on June 16th I will be posting about my first ever river carp, the pre-baiting starts soon.

L

Laurie Harper

Well, we are human beings as well as anglers. Granted this in an angling site, but it's nice that we can share thoughts on the world in general with other like-minded souls. Angling is not just about catching fish. The older I get, the more I value its social element,banter, etc. It's one of the things that setsangling apart from many more white-knuckled, "serious" pursuits. Long may it remain so.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Its obviously just me then - thats good!/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Not just you Nigel, but fishing threads need to be started before they can be responded to. The closed season has some bearing on it, but it's so much easier to start a thread about trivia than it is to start one on an angling topic that needs some thought.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

That's true enough Graham. Instead of moaning I'll just have to go fishing and then post about it.Sunday evening down the canal is lookinglooking good!

Glad to see you are still lurking Mark/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I'll be honest in that I've not recently thought of anything fish wise which I needed an answer to or thought was interesting that hasn't already had a thread or articledevoted to it.

Whenever I do think ofa questionor have a moment of 'clarity' anduncover debatable topic I always head here first. I remember one of my fisrt threads where I asked about b*rb*l in still-waters, I never knew fishing could be such a hot-bed of controversy and wondered then if I'd be shunned for starting such a long running and sometimes nasty thread.

I like to think of the forum a bit like a local pub where we meet up for a chat and there's bound to be more thanjust fishing on the agenda. very much the same as Laurie above.

The Monk

Reaction score
yes its a case of anything that gets anglers talking is a good thing and some fantastic friendships have been built over the years on this site, but of course its probably a seasonal flucuation also. Sometimes I thing I`m the only one on here who talks about fishing/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

F

Fred Bonney

I blame it on Bait Box/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

From what I understand Mr Monk, you talk more about fishing on this site,than actually going!!!/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

You talkin fishin Cakes? /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Nigel has a point tho....as does Granville........i promise to talk more angling, as well as the drivel.

Reaction score
According to his Lordships new categorisation of anglers I'm a blanker.....so other than a series of articles on Great Immobile Quivertips I have known.....it may have to be just drivel........ah but it is quality drivel! /forum/smilies/nerd_smiley.gif

The bad one

Reaction score
A nice polite way of saying this site has gonee shite Nigel.........like it! like it a lot!!!!! /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Now how would you know it's gone shite 'Ian', you haven't been a member for long enough to detect any changes.

And why would you 'like it a lot'?

As a 'non-angling environmentalist' I'm surprised you care one way or the other.

On the other hand you might really be an ex-member with an axe to grind.
wink_smiley.gif

F

Fred Bonney

Quite right too Graham.As you've said before, or words to that effect.

You have to put in, what you want to get out of this site.

Unfortunately at present,the more shitethat's put in, the more seemscomes out.

It's amazing what you can pick up from a Public Profile..../forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

...PS. I still blame Baitbox/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

The Monk

Reaction score
...PS. I still blame Baitbox/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Oi Mr Bonney, thats my neigbourhood your talking about/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

The bad one

Reaction score
On the other hand you might really be an ex-member with an axe to grind.

Not me, big brovver is an ex-member.

By the way I'm not aware that he's got an axe to grind with anybody. He still goes fishing the same places he did with the same people he did. And from what he tells me he's still catching some lunkers.

But he (big brovver) makes a fair point as Nigel does ..... if you look at the quality of the posts and topics 5 or so years ago to now, and I had a quick check. they seem to me to be more indepth knowledgeable and more fishing oriented.

Does length of time as member stop you from using a search facility and seeing what was posted years ago? If it does then theres something wrong with site because thats what I did.

In the general scheme of things it matter not to me but it should to you as ed ofa FISHING site.

As for liking it, the way Nigel wrote it, which read to me as polite criticism of thebetter standards of days gone by. I like that type ofway of putting it, its my type of humor

Windy

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Laurie Harper wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Well, we are human beings as well as anglers.</blockquote>

Speak for yourself. <blockquote class=quoteheader>PoshPaul (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>According to his Lordships new categorisation of anglers I'm a blanker.....so other than a series of articles on Great Immobile Quivertips I have known.....</blockquote>

As a matter of interest what is the right strength of quivertip to provide the most immobile presentation ? A thin light quiver able to cut through the wind but more prone to line drag or a big thick 'un that resists most movement but is vulnerable to a hurricane force side wind ?

See.... a real fishing question out of this drivel !

Though on the more serious point I would point out that as the site ages and matures like a good cheese there are more and more articles and background materials which now, given judicious and careful use of the search button, answers most basic and many abstruse angling questions without the need to post at all.

I have certainly asked fewer questions of late having used the now new improved search facility, not because of any diminution in the things I am ignorant about (a pretty bottomless pit that...) but because there are fewer things not already dealt with.