in-line leads

goldenscale

Reaction score
hi to all
i am trying to find some in-line leads which have a slot running along one side where by i can take off the lead from the insert either to change the lead or to remove it when i put my rods into my holdall at the end of my session, so far i'm having no luck, can anyone help?

thanks
goldenscale

goldenscale

Reaction score
For Sam Vimes
Thanks for your reply Sam i have had a look at the Avid leads and they are the type of thing that i want except it looks like i'll be loosing the lead with each run which is not what i need. My system is a bit like a helicopter rig and i don't want the lead sliding about on the line or coming off the insert but i saw in the Tackle Box catalogue on line that there are seperate inserts available and i will contact them to find out if these inserts fit tight inside the lead, if so i think they will be perfect.

cheers Goldenscale

sam vimes

Reaction score
They can be nipped up, by hand, so they don't slide off the tube quite so easily.
I wouldn't entertain using them if I was all but guaranteed to lose them on every cast.;)

goldenscale

Reaction score
To Sam & Iannate
Thanks very much for your ideas on my in-line lead problem, i am going to try to explain in more detail why i'm looking for this type of lead. I'm fishing for carp in a big dam in SW France, the lake has depths up to about 30m but from april until september i'm fishing in about 3 - 10m with what i'll describe as cliffs going down into the lake with sharp rocks, and after hooking a carp (now and again) they make a bee line for these snags. So i need a safe rig for these carp. I am currently using 15lb main line with a 10m of 40lb leader and a 75cm length of leadcore. Firstly i thread my leadcore through my standard in-line lead and use a big-eye swivel connected to the leadcore which fits into the insert at the bottom of the lead, i then tie my hooklink to the small eye of another big- eye swivel and pass the big eye over the leadcore so it sits over the top end of the insert followed by a rubber bead with a big bore, i then tie the other end of the leadcore to the 40lb leader, job done and if while playing a fish my main line or leader breaks on the rocks the rubber bead will slide up the line followed by the big-eyed swivel with the hooklink which will pass over the leader knots and the only thing attached to the fish is the hooklink which i'm confident they can get rid of quite quickly. I have been using this rig for a couple of years now and have caught some superb carp and although i've not lost any fish up until now i won't use an un-safe rig. The reason that i'm wanting the removeable leads is so i can remove the leads before packing my rods away so theres no chance my rods can be damaged during transport.

Thanks again
Goldenscale

clive morton

Reaction score
why not use the rig where you ditch the lead on the take theres plenty of info on the net how to set it up.
by using this rig you would ditch the lead on the take getting the fish higher in the water quicker and away from those rocks plus it would be a doddle to remove the leads when breaking the rods down btw this rig needs to be cast inside a pva bag i casting any distance.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
The snap swivel could replace the big eye swivel you are using and then you can remove the lead at will. You may need to put a big ring on, but the effect is the same.