Sharkskin

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

The fly fishing world is buzzing with the news about how good these lines are.

By dint of low cunning and guile, I acquired one of these lines today and I am looking forward to trying it out shortly.

Anyone else tried these very expensive fly lines?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Dave Chilton's got one and swears by it. I'll try his tomorrow and then decide if I want one or not. I remember the Ridge line had all the hype as well and that had more coils in it than a pigs thingy.

At £70 each it'll have to be good! I can buy two Snowbee XS lines for that.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Graham,

This line is totally unlike the Airflos in that it is as limp as lard. I have just this minute spooled it up and am looking forward to giving it a twirl tomorrow.

It sells in the USA for about $100.00 in most outlets.

I agree it's very expensive.

Best price in this area is Carrilon at £64.00

Phone 0800 917 0898

S

Shrek

A friend of mine tried one and, after a couple of hours, had to give it up as it had severely cut into two of his fingers. I've heard this happen to other people too.

If you have a look here Sharkskin ExchangeYou might find it a bit more enlightening.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I can see these lines cutting fingers if used for heavy duty work like salt water fishing. The name of the game here is to put plaster on your fingers and make sure the line is wet.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Not bad at all. It casts quite well with my Greys XD 7weight 10 foot rod. It floats very high and because of this I think it might transmit the sensation of a take better than some other lines.

Caught plenty of trout with it of course.

Is it worth the extra money?

When compared with some of the Shakespearelines, probably not.

Brian Whyte

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Not bad at all. </blockquote>
I could buy 5 Shakespeare (unbadged top of the range) lines for the price of a Sharkskin, so it would need to be a bit better than "Not bad at all" /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

That is my opinion of it. It's certainly not a sensational line.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Having tried the Sharkskin line got to say its brilliant, but like you say, you could buy 4-5 Shakespeare lines for that money, or 2 Greys Platignum, of which i rate both.

Ps Ron can i buy yours if your not happy with it?.

Give you £20 for it cos you have used it

ap

Reaction score
Having tried the Sharkskin line got to say its brilliant, but like you say, you could buy 4-5 Shakespeare lines for that money, or 2 Greys Platignum, of which i rate both.[\quote]

A lot more difficult to cast 4-5 Shakespeare lines tho

Morespiders

Reaction score
AP, when im doing casting demonstrations, I often use six rods at once, have done as many as eight, but did get in a mess.

The doctor at the hospital said, Im lucky to be alive./forum/smilies/nerd_smiley.gif

C

Colin North, the one and only

Just bought one. Will give it a go tomorrow.

C

Colin North, the one and only

Well, I used it yesterday. Caught two rainbows and a brownie on Corixa. Certainly casts well, but very noisy, and after a couple of hours, my fingers became quite sore.