What rod?

Rob Mc Coll

Reaction score
Hi y'all, With retirement looming I am thinking of getting back to beach fishing living just a couple of miles from Sarfend sea front. My problem is that over the years I have gradually developed a back problem that will not allow me to put any rotation into my casting. My present rod and reel is a Leeda 12ft twin tip and an ABU Mag Elite. Can anyone suggest either a rod that is compatible with my condition without breaking the bank as I only work part time or would it be worth selling my present set up and buying one of the longer beach rods with a fixed spool reel instead of the ABU. I know that I can fish from the pier but that costs money and the beach is more convenient allowing more money for bait. Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted. Keep a bend in it. Robs.

Emmo (Angling Trust)

Reaction score
Hi Rob. Not too sure a different rod would help much, sounds like you need to adust your casting to alieviate the need for rotation during the cast.

I'm no expert but a bog standard overhead thump could be the answer, as for rod choice I will have to leave that to someone with more expertise on the subject.

If you only live a short distance from thr beach why not collect your own bait? Crabs will be peeling like crazy, mussels and limpets can be collected without the need for digging. These can be collected for couple of trips before a planned fishing trip.

Good luck

Emmo

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Just try a simple of the ground cast. You can rotate the body as much or littleas you can. This is nearly as good as a pendulum cast but not quite the same range.

A longer rod my help as it would slow down the cast therefore helping with what movement you do have.

Rob Mc Coll

Reaction score
Hi Guys, sorry for the delay in replying, not been too well. I have tried the overhead thump with my present set up but that does not seem to go very far unless I am expecting more than I should. PerhapsI should set up a measured length along the beach and see just how far I am casting before I go any further. Whatch this space and keep it bent. Robs

Bob Paulley

Reaction score
Your Leeda is probably too stiff for you now. Their rods are really setup for pendulum casts.

I would recommend that you completely change your kit and style.

First, as suggested elsewhere, I'd switch to an overhead thump. Next I'd go for a soft action rod, like a Normark (which are very cheap). Then I'd go for a fixed spool reel with 15lb braid.

The fixed spool should have a metal spool, to prevent excessive wear from the braid. I have a decent one (which I shall not name) which cost me £25.00. Berkley Whiplash is the braid to go for. I use a soft Normark, which was my first Beach Caster (it is ancient!) and, with the fine braid, it casts out of sight with the slightest effort. The rod gives it all the power you need.

My mate just shakes his head, every time I hit the horizon!