technology

slime monster

Reaction score
i have noticed lately a new breed of angler ,now anyone can buy a pole and attain accuracy with little practice ,<not knocking that> my point is i believe they have missed out on the apprenticeship. some go on to become very good pole anglers,usually on carp filled commercial fisherys,shunning waters that do not produce obscene numbers of stock carp .that is fine by me but its a shame our sport is heading that way because in the end it will affect all of us as waters fished by a minority for other species are turned over to carp in the name of profit.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
It is an unfortunate symptom of our society thatalarge proportionof young people expect instant resultsin anything they do from angling to a regular income.

They are also prepared to put in zero effort to achieve these results and bark at, sulk or stab anyone who suggests otherwise.

Time and effort is something completely alien to them and the way things are going this situation will only get worse.

The only solutions I can think of are more than a little drastic and would probably breach most, if not all, European civil rights laws.

Ho hum.

B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

what beats me is that every day on my local club lake is pole anglers that get smashed to pieces almost twice a week each , they know the size of the carp there and they still use poles, one guy just paid £840 to get his repaired and he still uses it. Why on earth dont they go to rod and line and land some of these fish surely its got to be worth a go. Think of all the fun there missing and the youngsters there teaching to do it al wrong. Dont get me wrong poles are ok and in the hands of the good pole guys are able to land big carp , but the average guy just gets blown away with large carp. Just an easy way to fish i think saves all the thinking of trying to turn a reel handle while playing a fish (thats to hard ) to do two things at once i think. Your right paul zero effort is what it is.

F

Fred Bonney

I think that theycan not be classed asAnglers.

PerhapsCatchers is more appropriate?

N

NomadPaul

So its not technology thats to blame but the make up of the waters ?Because if we're honest , rod and reels have also benefitted from advances in technology.

Personally , the advent of the internet is what i feel has had the biggest influence on the modern day angler. No need for any leg work , investigation or adventure. Just find a relevant website and post ....." Can anyone tell me where/what/how i can catch Mr Booby , the big 50lb common in Lake mediocre ?"

i heard a good phrase for these kind of anglers....

Pot Noodlers - just add water /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

slime monster

Reaction score
fair comment paul, i want to return to the basics of my thread, which is no matter what you have read ,and seen on the internet or what tackle you are carrying and where you are,there is no substitute for .experience and that takes time......and thinking about it now ,the thrill of catching new species no matter how large or small,and the gradual increase in personal performance is or was magical. in away i miss those optomistic ventures when every day was an adventure and you knew you would make a good angler one day but all you needed was .........TIME.

to balance this thread instant anglers can buy boilies and sit behind four rods purchased days earlier.

C

Colin North, the one and only

It's not just "pole" people, but technology has its effect on other aspects of our sport. Example, nowadays, it is possible for a person to buy electronic bite alarms, bolt rigs, bivvies and such like that means the they don't have even to pay attention to their tackle but can bed down for days at a time until some poor fish hooks itself. There you have it, another "instant" expert "catcher" is born, who then prognosticates to anyone who will listen, what a great fellow he is.

I'm off now for a days FISHING

T

trev matthews (100M bronze)

Instant anglers in the carp scene are called "the argos brigade" they are shunned and ridiculed, especially by the tackle tarts who can afford to throw good money on name brand gear.

We all had to start somewhere, does it matter if we havent served an apprenticeship ?

do the fish care what rods or poles youve got ? they see the bait and nothing else.

F

Fred Bonney

Kit doesn't matter, serving an apprenticeship to be an Angler does.

slime monster

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Fred Bonney(ACA /Barbel Society) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Kit doesn't matter, serving an apprenticeship to be an Angler does.</blockquote>
/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gifa good seasoned angler could outfish an all the gear no idea {angler}with a willow branch for a 3 m whip.

T

So if you need to serve an apprenticeship, would you do a couple of years on a canal catching small perch and roach but have to take your bait out if a big carp comes along, then progress onto a few years on a commercial pool as pools fodder with your 5 mtr whip while all around you who've been fishing for a few years longer and have 16 mtr poles catch the majority of the fish and win, making you suffer a demoralising defeat week after week. Then once youve served your apprenticeship on the canals and pools maybe and only maybe would you be allowed to buy a decent rod and reel and then if your extremely lucky you might be allowed to watch a real angler catching barbel in a river.

Do you not think that the very same newbie anglers who have been forced into said aprenticeship of several years would get fed up and stop.

Fishing is our future, we should be encouraging new anglers not insisting that they serve time.

im off now to CATCH a few poor fish, lets hope there not big ones

B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

no ones saying that trev all were saying is that the art of fishing has become somewhat robotic i think might be the right word , with no one prepared to put a little more time and effort into different styles of fishing.

T

<blockquote class=quoteheader>slime monster wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>my point is i believe they have missed out on the apprenticeship.</blockquote><blockquote class=quote></blockquote>

and

NomadPaul wrote (see)<blockquote class=quote>

i heard a good phrase for these kind of anglers....

Pot Noodlers - just add water /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif</blockquote>

and<blockquote class=quoteheader></blockquote><blockquote class=quote>to balance this thread instant anglers can buy boilies and sit behind four rods purchased days earlier.</blockquote>

and finally<blockquote class=quoteheader>Fred Bonney(ACA /Barbel Society) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Kit doesn't matter, serving an apprenticeship to be an Angler does.</blockquote>

so what are you saying then ?

Perhaps there are some who can remember further back than me to when they first started, (in fact there was a reminisance thread a few weeks ago) and the rubbish kit that we had to use, and all the secrets that the anglers would keep to themselves.

we have the magic of the internet to use now and there have been fantastic advances in fishing kit so why not use them.

Im going to the Match at Clattercote, I will be the one with the wicker creel and the fibre glass rod and the honey and bread paste.

Yes I know I can be a bit forthright and Idont sit on any fences but there are two sides to every story.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I do not mind trying something that takes a bit of learning. For example I am getting better as time goes by in the use of Photoshop to enhance my photos. It's been a slow but steady learning curve and I enjoy every minute of it.

But I have heard people, especially youngster, proclaim that they can't get their heads around it!

Herein lies the truth I think. PeopleDO want instant gratification, and actually they demand it!

F

Fred Bonney

Trev, you can say what you like, but a little learning on a pond/canal, itdoesn't matter what tackleis used,some practice at depth finding, float fishing, casting without hundred weight of lead, perhaps even a little bit of river trotting.

In the end they wouldstay fishinglonger and may get enjoyment out of the world around them.

slime monster

Reaction score
trev, what i am saying is this....the learning curve to becoming a good thinking rodsman can now be side stepped . i do a lot of pole fishing and i will be the first to help anyone on the bank with advice if asked , yes it is great that tackle has advanced and they dont have to use crap hooks etc .its just a shame that basic important skills are not mastered . learn to walk before you try to run could sum it up.

T

ok I see what your now getting at. I will look closely at my fellow anglers on the bank and try to understand them a little more.

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Fred Bonney(ACA /Barbel Society) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Kit doesn't matter, serving an apprenticeship to be an Angler does.</blockquote>
Spot on Fred , as a carp angler for many years and proud of it it , I am now finding it a bit hard going ( age and fitness thing ) , so I am now returning to bream & tench fishing plus the river , if I hadn`t done my apprenticeship which to my mind is still on going , I wouldn`t have a clue where to start ./forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif