Spodding / baiting a swim...

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
My fishing usually revolves around rivers and feeding with a swim feeder or PVA bags, I have a small bucket which holds more than enough for a days fishing.

I have no idea what sort of quantity of bait I could expect to get through fishing a still water over a weekend and baiting up with a spod.

I know it depends if the fish are feeding hard and so forth but what quantity of bait would you take with you for a weekend?

I have ordered some particle baits which need soaking and preparing before hand and I don't want to be boiling up loads more than I will use or running out on the bank either.

Also as a side issue how would youspod the particles - just as they are andmixed together or in with some ground bait to make more of a paste?

Actually any spod tips would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
A lot will depend on the venue, the head of your target species and the feeding patterns on the venue Paul.

I'd be inclined to make-up a large bucket full (I use Sensas 17 litre buckets) and then buy 3 or 4 of those ready-for-use large jars as a back up. If I didn't use them then they will store for a long time.

I use a groundbait 'cap' in the end of the spod to avoid spod spill, just don't use one that is too heavy as you want it to hold the spod contents only during flight, but to empty quickly as well. Simply fill the spod to about 3/4's full and then cap-off with the groundbait.

Don't ever attempt to spod with a rod that is not 'man enough' for the job. Use a purpose made spod rod with a t/c of 5lbs or more.

I use floating 20lb braid with a 30lb braid leader, and never try to feather your braid on the spod rod without using a finger stool or an old golf glove.

Big Pit reels are the dog's whotsitts for spodding, easy casting and swift retrieve make this time consuming job a lot easier.

The idea of spodding is to create a column of feed that slowly drifts down to the bottom, and you can always add some hook-bait samples as well; chopped boilies, sweet corn and/or maggots.

I always use a marker float when spodding for complete accuracy, but don't forget that you want to create about a dinning table sized carpet at least for most stillwaters.

Good luck.

Hope this helps.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
PS: Before casting; always check for 'line-wrap' around the rod tip, a full spod and line wrap will result in a broken rod top - every time!

b.t.w. I've been using Fox Marker and spod rods for the last year or so and would thoroughly recommend them.

T

trev matthews (100M bronze)

Paul

if you take a small bucket you might run out, if you take a big bucket its heavy and you could end up walking a long way with it.

I have a 10ltr bucket that i use for particles when im fishing 48 hr sessions on well known local reservoirs/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gifand that is just about right for me.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Don't know about carp fishing but I use a "pocket rocket" for the tench which is filled with a mixture of hemp, sweetcorn, dead maggots and 3mm halibut pellets and I can cast this easily with an old 1.75 carp rod. As I only fish day sessions I don't use anything like the quantities the above are talking about and even if I did the ducks, swans and grebes would hoover it up in no time in the shallow waters at Horseshoe Lake.