Boilies are responsible for

F

Frothey

Its a well known fact thats carp only get big because of people piling in loads of boilies, producing fat, bloated carp who can hardly move because of their guts

Week old news, but a "Proper" UK fish, 57lb 8oz from an easy to access water, not too far from where some fish-ins were.....
Darren%20Day%20Burghfield%20Common%2057llb%20Meteor%20right.JPG

Bloody horrible.

The Monk

Reaction score
yes, its a debate which has been going on since the early 80s Frothy, when the boilie revolution took hold proper we saw lots and lots of cheap non-nutritional food sources being ploughed into our carp lakes, to the detriment of the fish of course, its sort of throws old Fred Wiltons theories of nutritional recognistion out of the window, sadly many carp now rely as non-natural food sources as a stable diet and of course this in turn effects their health. I think I metioned the research i`ve done on this in the 1990s, when I did comparative studies of lakes which allowed angling and those that didnt and how a significant decrease in litteral invertibrate populations in the lakes which disallowed angling, with long term probability of healthier fish feeding on natural food sources, its common sense really of course.

F

Frothey

not too longLes.

Doesn't look very gutty does it Monk? Ok, two-tones not really a looker, but then again it wasn't when it was smaller either - and thats a lake thats crammed with naturals. The other fish in colnebrooke like the bigcommon are also stunners and "properly" proportioned, so it cant be down to the food going in can it - just genetics.

if the above common was 15lb, Yatesy would be waxing lyrical over it's classic lines. I reckon he still would at 57+ !!

The Monk

Reaction score
Ahh the genetically challeged, nuff said!/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Reaction score
I must admit to having a problem with the boilies for a few years , fish for carp on your average club lake and there are tons of sodding boilies going in the water in the course of a season , to the point that the carp won`t look at any otherbait 90% of the time .

I`m not saying that you can`t catch on other baits , of course you can but your odds are cut well down .

My 2nd gripe is the cost ,for a decent session you need to take out a bank loan .

On the upside , they do put weight on any fish that feeds on them , carp ,tench , bream .

I will now retire to my bunker and try to duck the oncoming flak ./forum/smilies/surprised_smiley.gif

Reaction score
I agree with you on twotone Dave , not fished collinbroke , so don`t know what the natural food source is but the " Pan" lake" is a very hard water with a hell of lot of 30/40 lb commons and the boilie is not king there , a high natural food source of bloodworm or shrimp , I'm not sure which .

F

Frothey

why did i call it colnebrook? conningbrook i meant....

you dont need to put tonnes in - if everyone else is then they are pre-baiting for you, just jump on the bandwagon.....

R

Roto Fryer

its the not having to swim against moving water all day long that makes the carp fatter in lakes/forum/smilies/party_smiley.gif