are we the beasts

slime monster

Reaction score
it saddens me to see a beautiful specimen fish that has given its all ,and presumably great pleasure and satisfaction to its captor and awaits relief whilst being photographed being referred to as a beast. it could be the angling press that add this distasteful tag not the angler, i dont think this helps our case from the antis point of view. years ago rods had wonderful names i remember the rodrill range an example ...yellow wagtail . now its beast master yank n bank etc whats next ?

The Monk

Reaction score
I think its a nice name "the beast", thats what i affectionately call the mother in law/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

N

Nobby C (ACA)

There is/was one in Savay, lovely long mirror. Now calling pike 'crocs' or barbel a beard? Boris??

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

The latest name for barbel are "Johnsons" I am told.

N

Nobby C (ACA)

Correct slime, glad you noticed./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

BarryC

Reaction score
We no longer fish for bream but we do have skimmers, slabs and snotties.

Carp if they don't have a name are lumps or pasties.

We also catch crocks, stripeys, gonks, whiskers, tincas, and of course that cover all term silvers.

I do like to use the correct names most of the time but even I am slipping into slang.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I ask myself if it matters.

And anyway, Izaac Walton started it all with his umber, luce and penk. Got a lot to answer for has that bloke.

Nothing new is there? Just different versions of nicknames, most of them with some affection.

So it's a case of "am I bovvered?"

There was a beautiful specimen fish that used to be called Ravioli and then renamed Clarissa. I'll bet she was pi$$ed off with that, when, with a bitmore thought, she could have been called Nancy or Doris/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

slime monster

Reaction score
i dont mind what nicknames are given to fish of any species, some are amusing others fitting two tone for example. its lines in the press like.......[insert any name}fished a pop up to the island to take THE BEAST .not a nickmame ,a poor discription of an innocent fish. ive kept carp for years and not onehas turned into a creature anyone has described as beastly

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I think that man, quite wrongly, has associated the term "beast" with something that is evil. This may go back to words such as "beastial" or "Mark of the Beast 666 in the Book of Revelation.

Personally I think the word beast can be applied to any animal that is not a human,especiallyan animal that walks on all fours. Weoften talk of cattle as being beasts, and what about a horse, a noble beast indeed.

I often wonder why we do not use the scientific name for our quarry. There is something fine in the term: Esoxlucius

Luce of course is the Latin for wolf.

A fine language is Latin, such a shame we do not use more of it. And let's face it, Latin has influenced English in more ways than we can imagine.

Isaac Walton was well acquainted with the Latin and Greek classic writers of ancient times. In fact he quotes certain Roman scholars on many occasions in "Compleat Angler."

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>slime monster wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>i dont mind what nicknames are given to fish of any species, some are amusing others fitting two tone for example. its lines in the press like.......[insert any name}fished a pop up to the island to take THE BEAST .not a nickmame ,a poor discription of an innocent fish. ive kept carp for years and not onehas turned into a creature anyone has described as beastly</blockquote>

Ah but how do you know the fish was innocent? It might have been a right bad piece of work in the fish world.

And don't you think describing a fish as 'innocent' is giving it equally human attributes as the journo who calls a fish a beast - more even!

Come on, let's be careful what we say, there are too many 'innocent' creatures on Peta's list.