nuts

seksee

Reaction score
I watched a carp program on TV recently (I can't remember the name unfortunately) where the two presenters were having a "cheap bait challenge" - anyway, long story short, the winner was using standard supermarket brand peanuts.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to try this out myself as nuts are banned most waters I fish! :rolleyes:

laguna

Reaction score
Hi Paul, at one point of our investigations we gave serious consideration to peanuts (technically a legume) as a bait ingredient. It seemed the obvious choice at first given their plentiful supply and relative cheapness compared to Tiger nuts (technically another legume) but our findings quickly put paid to the idea.

Whilst they may catch fish - short term, their effectiveness is short lived and confirmed (to our satisfaction at least) that we wouldn't be doing the fish or fishery owners any favours...

see here

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/coarse-fishing/317590-spreads.html#post1175997

terry m

Reaction score
Yes - Peanuts will work, I am not sure about the longevity of their effectiveness though. I have not tried them but I know many that have. There is some concern about the mid/long term effects though.