Fustrated Carp Angler

C

Cakey

Once again a thread on the close season was going along quite nice until someone got me back up with their anti carp views ,I normally take it on the chin but this time I posted a reply which unfortunatly started more response .
So I would like to apologise to Adrian Hartop who started the thread and move any more responses to here.
The thread that upset me can be read here

My response can be read here

M

Malcolm Bason

It's alright Cakey - Ron Clay is just being..... well, er Ron Clay!!!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Many of my thoughts on this matter are summed up in this article:

<a href=http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article.asp?SP=&v=1&UAN=1729>'Nowt So Funny As Fishermen'</A>.

Further to that I do find it strange that we anglers find it so hard to accept that there are more ways than one to catch a fish, and more species to catch than our own favourites.

I agree with Cakey that carp are a very important fish. They have done so much to revive interest in fishing and give pleasure to the majority of anglers. I love them as much as any other fish, no more and no less. I understand where Cakey is coming from, but I also see Ron's point of view, although I'm certain that much of what he was trying to say was lost in the inflammatory prose he used to put his point across. Ron was obviously determined to get a bite and he surely has.

Where I agree with Ron is that carp have been stocked into too many waters to the detriment of other species. But that does not make me detest carp. Why should it, carp have only ended up where man has put them, they didn?t ask to be planted in practically every stillwater in the country. We?ve done that, anglers and fishery managers, nobody else.

Carp are a great fish, I?m going to be fishing for them almost exclusively for the next three months, and occasionally, as usual, thereafter.

Why can?t we all be anglers? Just anglers? People like the Carp Police and Barbel Police are by far in the minority.

D

Dave Crisp

Yup, enough is enough now lads, stop carping on about it! Just get your rods out and............enjoy the moments.

P

Paul Williams

Dave,
You are right mate enough is enough on the falling out front but every heated debate has points that need thrashing out, prefrebly over a beer and a handshake!...i like carp fishing, i also like roach fishing.....today i paid a visit to a local water just for a look about, i was told that the water has been netted and the silver fish removed, now my minds in a mix! obviously not all the roach were caught in the nets so am i witnessing the descruction of a roach water for the sake of carp? or the birth of a potential specimen roach water as the remaining roach grow fat because of the carp?..........my money is on the latter, but how catchable will they be?.......debate is good!

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Cakey
As someone who posted a reply to the original thread, I am more than happy to continue the discussion in the ‘right place’. I have no axe to grind with ‘carp anglers’ per se. I did use the term 'elitist' which has apparently caused a ripple. However, even in FM itself ‘Carp Anglers’ have their own site – why? Is one species of fish alone better than the others, or is it that the anglers that fish for them are so different as to need their own site? I will admit to being a pike angler, but I do not mind being lumped together with zander, perch, catfish or eel fishermen under the ‘Predator’ banner. Do carp fishing methods prevent you from catching other cyprinids, or do you just not wish to mix with us mere ‘anglers?’

C

Carp Angler

There is a seperate carp forum because it warrants it based on the number of messages posted.
No other single species generates as much discussion.

Carp replaced roach as the most favoured species in the last EA(NRA?) survey and it is the most searched for species on the site (this was the case when Graham and I were last discussing it)

More people want to read about carp fishing than any other and Graham would love to have 3 or 4 contributors putting out weekly articles, although the bandwidth utilisation would go through the roof.

C

Carp Angler

I think that elitist is a poor choice of term, but carp fishing really is out on its own, yes, scaled down tactics are very efficient for other species and outright carp tactics do not dissuade other cyprinids, but carpers want to discuss catching carp, not the best way of unhooking tench at 2am.

I no longer visit other sites on the 'net with my carp hat on, as most other sites without a seperate carp forum are not nice places to chat.
I visit both BFW and RMC but as a barbel/bream/tench/roach angler.

Apart from Ron's occasional outburst, FM has no anti-carp agenda
(it has no anti-anything agenda as far as I'm aware, except possibly an anti-anti agenda but now I'm getting confused and tongue tied)
and is a good place to discuss most things, providing that you're serious about it and don't joke about.

C

Carp Angler

Sorry its in two bits, but I couldn't get it to accept a single large posting.

There's obviously an anti-waffling filter been installed.....

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Rik's explanation of why carp have their own forum category is right, but I'd also like to add that you could use Kevin's argument to ask why there are any categories at all. We are all anglers so why have coarse, sea and game?

The explanation is simple really; can you imagine what it would be like trying to keep track of threads if the forum had no categorisation?

It's categorised because it means that anglers can follow their particular interests and avoid those that hold no interest for them. And like Rik said, there is a separate carp category because carp are by far the most popular species right across the board.

It isn't a case of favouritism but simple common sense. If barbel continue to grow in popularity at the current rate then I shall have to consider having a barbel category sometime in the future.

It just makes it easier to keep in touch with your own particular interests.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Trust you to turn a serious thread into something funny.

But come to think of it, a gobie category could be just what we want for all the jokers on this site that we haven't really got.........

S

Steve Baker

"for all the jokers on this site that we haven't really got........."

Oh dear! (me and my big gob).

G

Gary Knowles

Or big gobie Steve....

If we can't laugh at ourselves mate, what chance do we have ?

C

Carp Angler

I thought that was a full time occupation for you Barney.........

G

Gary Knowles

What would you know about a full time occupation........I don't think you've ever worked two days running !!

C

Cakey

Stuart says Rik is always on the bank unless its another spelling mistake !!