Barbel rod

meat63

Reaction score
Hi all,,new on here so hello everybody ,,just a quickie to run by you ,,venue Trent tidal and non tidal,,Newark to Collingham areas.
Am torn between the Fox duo lite twin tip 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 tc,, or the bigger version 2 3/4 tc,, both same price ,,have had a wiggle on the bigger version ,nice feel,, borderline heavy imo ,,built in tip,,and very strong ,,would easily cast big leads,,and nice finish to boot .But dont really know if it would be a tad heavy???:confused:. Bearing in mind I could end up fishing with extra water on river. On the other hand I havent held the lighter version ,but my gut feeling is that this could be the right one,,but would it cope with extra water,,so without actually holding this rod I wouldnt know. So anyone who has tried these rods out or otherwise,,that could give me their own opinion on this would be much appreciated .Thanks Rick
p.s I fish Severn and yorkshire rivers normally but am now giving the Trent a bash this year,,so any little tips or tricks you might want to share ,im not after your secret bait formula

Last edited:

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Rick, I would suggest that what you use on the Severn should suit the Trent.

Unless you're thinking of hurling great weights across the Trent, then I wouldn't have thought a 2 3/4 test curve was needed.

sam vimes

Reaction score
The twin tip 1.75/2.25 will cover the vast majority of situations. Only if you are going for long casts or casting extreme weights in flood conditions will the 2.75 be needed.

meat63

Reaction score
Thanks for replies ,,so isthere a time when I need to be casting big weights on the Trent other than flood,,if say it was in flood I would be fishing closer in,, so not needing too much weight ,,would you say that anything over 6 oz to hold would mean the river is too high to fish in middle anyway?.
Hope you understand what im getting at,,,so the answer to my question would be to go for the 2 1/4 tc rod twin tip .
On the severn last few years we have caught it well up and never fished too far out,, I use a john wilson 1 3/4 tc with up to 5 oz ,and sometimes could of done with a bit more backbone when playing fish in the current ,,I also have a silstar traverse x heavy feeder which comes out on floods ,,I bought it years ago very strong rod ,,havent a clue what tc it is?? (anybody remember them ),,bit stiffish action too,,not as much feel when playing fish as the other rod . So it sounds like this could be somewhere in the middle of my two other rods. Not fished the Trent that regular ,,fished Newark plenty of times ,,but that is a different beast compared to wider stretches,,fished Flintham many years ago in season just as they had finished spawning,four of us bagged up with chub and small barbel on the far side gully with stick float,,red letter day.
Waffling on now ,,cheers anyways . Rick

sam vimes

Reaction score
Thanks for replies ,,so isthere a time when I need to be casting big weights on the Trent other than flood,,if say it was in flood I would be fishing closer in,, so not needing too much weight ,,would you say that anything over 6 oz to hold would mean the river is too high to fish in middle anyway?.

If you modify your fishing in flood conditions, or accept that you aren't going to hurl a substantial lead/feeder (3-4oz plus) 2/3 of the way across a wide stretch of river, you'll find 1.75/2.25 more than man enough.

meat63

Reaction score
Looks like the lighter rod would get more use ,than the 2 3/4 one,,so my mind is 99 %made up cheers chaps. Rick