Barbel food

meat63

Reaction score
Hello ,,I am thinking of making my own boilies for river this year ,,so can anyone give me a few pointers eg base mixes flavours additives ,,just a starting point really,,I do think the price is a little much for them these days ,and would get a lot more satisfaction if I caught on my own homemade ..cheers ,Rick:wh

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
Smelly tinned cat food (mince type, not with loads of jelly), bind together with semolina. Start with a small amount first until happy.

Ground cat bicuits mixed 50 / 50 with ground pellets, bind together with eggs (add powder to eggs until desired dough achieved). Add any other wet additives to the eggs first, any other dry additives to the powder and mix well.

Keep some to use as paste.

Drop into boiling water a few at a time to skin them and allow to dry out. Or just let them air dry.

Flavours and additives: Just look in the supermarket aisles for spices, stock cubes etc.........

meat63

Reaction score
Thank you very much,,that has got me thinking now ,,I have heard vitalin dog food somewhere too. would you think of using a bird seed mix or is that too carpy??
My standard barbel bait is meat ,,takes some beating ,,then halibuts ,Ilike to keep things simple ,,but its time I dabbled with some homemade baits. Cheers ,Rick.

Last edited:

clive morton

Reaction score
ive had some success on home mades containing fishmeal robin red a attractor in its own right liquid flavours spicey ones work well if you can still get it rod hutchinsons ultra spice is brilliant.premier baits indian oil is another good liquid. load the bait with good attractors and draw them to it just like you would if you where carp fishing keep a bit of paste back to wrap a bait with or even round your lead.
tight lines.