Taking Ourselves Too Seriously?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I'd like to open this up to some 'serious' discussion (but please feel free to throw in the odd joke if you wish!).

But it has caused me some concern just in case there is a glimmer of truth in the accusation.

On another thread Steve wrote:

"i have found out that you have to be careful in the fm forum! As the regulars dont like jokes and everyone takes themselves way to seriously! I know a few people outside the forum and they agree."

Could you please elaborate on this Steve? It definitely isn't the way I would like FM to be seen, and quite frankly I think you've got it wrong and that your remarks are very unfair to the 'regulars'.

The regulars don't like jokes? Where have you been? Did you not see the recent 'Jugmaster' thread and the forum pics of Shrek and Brains? God help us if we ever get really humorous!

You said, "I know a few people outside the forum and they agree."

Whatever does that mean? By 'outside' do you mean people who are put off taking part in the forum because they think it's too serious?

Believe me, none of us, especially me, want the forum to be a closed shop to anyone, and although I definitely do want to see serious debate, I don't want the forum to be humourless.

So I'm asking everyone who uses this forum, regulars or otherwise, to please give their full and frank comments about Steve's remarks. Are they true, and if you think they are, why?

And over to you Steve.

1. Why do you think you have to be careful on the FM forum?

2. Why do you think the regulars don't like jokes?

3. What exactly have people 'outside' the forum been saying?

If we've got it wrong I really would like the opportunity to put things right, but I can't do that unless I know what the problem is. Right now I think you've got it wrong, but please feel free to explain your reasoning.

D

disco dan

Graham, never found the forum to be too serious so don't really know what steve is on about. I mean, you need a certain degree of seriousness to discuss some of the points of forum but then you do in general conversation to anyone. It would be nice to have jokes all the time on the forum but if we did this then certain points and topics would and could never be discussed. DAN

D

Dave Feeney

As in all walks of life, some people take things to seriously, this site is like having a libary on fishing, ask any question on the sport and replys come back thick and fast, co's you guys are the experts.
O.K I could write to the angling paper and ask a question and depending on whether it was good enough I might get an answer? here no such worrys, and no product placing, you lot tell it how it is, from your own experiance, and thats like sitting in the pub with your mates talking about the days fish, only with a 1000 mates.
As with friends you ain't never going to agree with everything they say, but you don't fall out over it, after all it's only fishing, your hobby, the thing that makes working the 40 hrs bearable .
I'm not saying we should all agree and slap each other on the back day after day but we need to keep it real, and remember it ain't life or death stuff we do..it's ment to be fun.. keep up the good work Graham this site has few rivals. :) :)

A

Andrew Thomas

Graham, you can't please all of the people all of the time....some just lack the irony gene.

The moderators on a board are there to do a job on out-of-line postings, it's not worth soul-searching.

E

EC

Relax Boss Man! This is THE best web site/forum on angling that Ive been on by a mile!

ron lander

Reaction score
Most of the time the balance between serious/flippant discussion is spot on. Long may it continue to be so.

F

Fred Bonney

I just couldn't beleive it when I saw Steves comments,but thought,he's a loner in this respect and therefore didn't call for a comment.
Anymore than I don't think Ron on about Carp calls for any real comment,if thats the way he feels and he's not just on a big windup,then so what,he's not doing any harm to the majority,but some obviously take the bait.
Graham, I don't know about many of the other sites, i've looked at a few, but none appear to come up to the standard of Fm, so, keep up the good work everybody and if anybody wants to spout off let them and if anybody wants to show a sense of humour, which a lot of the postings certainly show, then long may it continue.
So there!

D

Dave Johnson

I think Steves comments were a little over the top. But wouldnt worry about it. There is always going to be a little conflict now and then-thats life.
Humour takes of the pressures of a hectic family life and 40+ hours a week with serious people......long may it continue in its present format

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I think its outrageous Graham. This site is for serious anglers with serious opinions and views. Why do I want to work hard all week and then get on here with a load of guys with a sense of humour who continually make people smile with their advice and enthusiasm? You’re obviously missing the trick here!

Jokes are for wimps Graham and smiling is for loosers! Unless this site starts taking things a lot more serious then I for one will not be around to see its downfall. If I want someone’s opinion, then I’ll give it to them. I don’t come on here to hear what others have to say, I come on here to tell people how to do things my way and my way only.

How the hell am I supposed to go through life when I have to rub shoulders with utter scum who tend to smile or even worse laugh a little.

I don’t want Happy, I want people on here who have their head shoved firmly up their own arse. I want arrogant, self opinionated, militant viewers on here. I want to be miserable and want everyone on here to be miserable too. No more smiling faces, no more sense’s of humour.

Have you got that Graham?

Thank you, I’m now going to sort out my sock drawer, nit Ron Clay a brand new cardigan and paint another picture of Ron Lander looking like Ian Brady!

C

Curly

I don't think it is serious at all. I admit that I am no where near an expert but I feel comfortable about posting on here. Someone is always willing to help.

As for Steve saying that is too serious on here, well, if you get a bunch of people together to talk (write) about something they are passionate about then there is always going to be a serious side. Just sit a pub before a football game, then you will see what I mean.

Most of the threads get side tracked by humourous comments, so how could this be too serious?

R

Rodney Wrestt

I agree with you Stuart and just to show you how much.....I total dissagree with everything you just said.....arguments and disagreements rule.

P

Paul Williams

I must admit i was a little taken aback when the regs were accused of not liking humour, an explanation of some kind would be nice.
Dave Johnson....nice to see you were released......we all paid the goat a visit and got it to withdraw the charges!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments so far, very encouraging I must say. I must admit I almost didn't bother to reply to Steve's remarks, thinking along the lines of "Ah well, there's always one."

But then I thought, no, that's not fair, he's entitled to his opinion and there might be more like Steve out there who can't find any humour on the forum. Sometimes the humour is lost, especially when it's an 'in joke' that only those involved can understand.

For instance, all the umpteen comments I get about being rich and having a fat wallet. Maybe Steve doesn't laugh at that because he believes it!

How ridiculous, I've hardly got a ha'penny to scratch my posterior on, and what little I do get my hands on I buy drinks for my mates. Paul Williams will tell you that I almost bought him a drink once, and would have if he hadn't insisted on buying me one or two instead and making me forget.

And as for Stuart 'Brains' Dennis, he has no humour at all. I'm with Rod Wrest on this one, I disagree with everything he said and I refuse to have a laugh about it.

What does anyone think this is, a forum where you can get a laugh?

Look at Cakey's remarks ('Wet and dry Nets OK'). It could be me, but I'm still trying to figure that one out.

M

Martin Blackmun

There's me thinking cakey was on about the hair net he uses.
I must admit the last thread I read made comment on the bulge in Graham's trousers, on reading further it was his fat never opened wallet.

Mever having met you Graham, I imagine you have one hell of a sense of humour. You must have to put up with all the ribbing..

A

Alan Roe

Who Me???Take it seriously????!!!!!

I Wanna see the evidence......I want my lawyer!!!!!

For those of you who can't cope with the wind ups and general badinage.....Please remember this only a virtual world......There is an off button........!

P

Paul Williams

It's true....Graham is nearly the greatest at almost buying a pint and if he aint almost always getting the round in he nearly always promises to get them in.....it just aint true that he never gets his wallet out either...i have seen it out at least 4 times when guys have been giving him money.......so it's a good job he can take a joke other wise he may take it all the wrong way!

C

Carp Angler

Too serious?

Yeah right.

I was more worried that any newcomers would think that any serious questions wouldn't get any sensible replies and would just receive glib one liners from the ranks of amateur comedians/ennes that inhabit this forum.

Having personally met most of them, I can see why they've got a sense of humour though.

I will get a photo of Grahams wallet one day, probably when he's trying to get a photo of me not eating..........

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
You just can't have a serious discussion on this forum - or on the phone.

I've spoken to Rik (Carp Angler) today and he deliberately told me he could have got me a rod cheaper than what I've just paid for one, knowing that would upset me. And then I spoke to Alan Roe and he took great delight in reminding me about the time when his young 'un wrecked the FISHINGmagic equipment at the NEC last year.

And as for Brummie Williams (who doesn't like being called Paul) he just enjoys stopping drinking after two pints.

And Martin, is it any wonder I'm miserable.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Cakey,
Yup, how are you?

Graham,
Err.....Cakey's "Wet and dry Nets" comment goes back to an earlier thread in which the smart chap discovered that it is an anagram of my name. Clever aint it and quite spooky cause I've usualy got one or the other after a trip.

C.A.
Don't know how long it would take to download a picture of Graham's wallet, I've heard it could be the answer to the O zone problem ;o}~