uncomplicated carp

• Thread starter Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)
  • Start date
B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

I Am sitting here after posting a couple of pics in the gallery and thought i would take you through an uncomplicated bit of carp fishing. I at the bank holliday weekend went down to my local club lake at 6 in the morning with nothing more than a small game bag, chair,and rod and pin.The bag contained a basic kit of leads floats and the usual bits and bobs. Not forgetting the flask of coffee and landing net. Armed with nothing more than a tub of sweetcorn i sat myself down beside a clump of trees grown into the lake. You can usualy find a few carp laying under the trees although a dodgy place to fish its quite challenging. The carp are mostly around the 4 to 5 mark but good sport none the less. Also a few tench lay around with these. Anyway i tackled up the 12 ' float rod with a pin and 6 lb line through to a size 12, a bb shot a foot from the hook and a piece of sarkanda reed as a marker. The float was set 2' over depth and the sweetcorn would then just lay on the silt bottom. rod rest in place and a couple of pieces of sweetcorn on the hook and were off the mark fishing tight to trees as i could get, few loose offerings and time for coffee. No sooner than i poured the coffee the float sailed away and i was giffted with a 5 lb mirror. 10 mins later and my first tench of the day then a second, both around the 3 lb mark . A coffee and a smoke later the third tench of the day a lovely 6 lb 9 oz olive green red eyed bute. I then had to wait a fair while trying different places along the bank of trees and bushes , by now i'd been there some 2 hours .Just out from my rod tip and old tree stump was sticking out where someone had cut the tree off at some time ,so with no further adue i dropped my last cast as tight as i could , and waited ,and waited no luck here i,m thinking ,think i,ll pack up and head off home when suddenly the float shot away like a train i struck into it and as luck would have it ,it came out into open water ,well thats until it realised it was hooked then back into the trees he tried but chubber held on for dear life ,6 lb line i'm thinking no chance but with the pin in hand i had good control and managed to calm the blighter . I realy didnt know how big it was until i netted it ,then it dawned on me it was pb for me a lovely common of 14 lb 10 oz. Boy was chubber a happy bunny or what. Maybe to some these were small fish but to me they were a challenge and a real pleasure to catch. What i call fun fishing . hopefully they will be up in the gallery soon for you to see. And dont forget next time you want to go for carp , leave the bivvies and alarms at home and just go have some fun. All you realy need are basics. And of course ( a flask of coffee) Have fun all. Chubber

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Nice one Chubber

I too have started the "less in enough" approach to my tackle and find that I can get to the water fish for an hour or two - catch a few fish on basic gear and enjoy.

mogs

Reaction score
Now thats what i call fishing size should not matter just the sheer enjoyment well done...