Shimano Ultegra 5500 XT-B Reel

• Thread starter Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)
  • Start date
N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I have the smaller, non bait runner version ,the 4500 XT-B.An excellent reel but let down by some very shoddy workmanship at the line clip where some burring rapidly shreds your line when clipping up.Shimano have acknowledged the fault and the problem can be remedied by removing the clip and sanding down the rough edges or simply sending the spools to Shimano Felindre for a fix under warranty. You cannot half crank some line in with them though.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I used the line clip when casting to the bush on the far bank of Sauvelliere (about 90yds) with no problem Nigel, with a 3oz bomb being stopped pretty sharply with it, so they must have sorted that one out with the 5500.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Does the 5500 have the alimium spool Graham?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Quoted frommy review:

"One spare aluminium AR-C spool is supplied as standard."

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Great reels you can pick them up for £99 simpsons of turnford, in my view best baitrunner reel around, others costing much more dont stand up to this reel.

Ravelling Tangler

Reaction score
can this reel be compared (in ease of use, ruggedness, casting ability) with the Fox Stratos - either 7,000 or 10,000 ?

I was thinking of buying one of them (the 7,000) after a fishingmagic review (I don´t have any f/s in-between Biomaster3000 and Grauvell Zeus5000 size)

with an aim to use it the first timefor spinning and light pirking, plus baitrunner bait-fishing in Norway (in the Sea)

cheers !

Ravelling Tangler (roger Bradbury)

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Rav,

I wouldnt go near sea water with any coarse reel, but the ultegra is a porche, the stratos a robin reliant, and thats both models.

Ravelling Tangler

Reaction score
Shimano actually say that use in the Sea invalidates the warranty on any of their reels except the Stellas and maybe one or two other special models, but folks have been using then for spinning and Bass bait fishing with no problem for years.

You do, of course, have to rinse and dry well and keep a close eye on them for any start of corrosion.

Thanks for the summary and advice, Ray;I wonder if Graham shares your view ( I guessed the stratos could be more of a VW, Hondaor Seat than a robin reliant) ?

N

Nobby C (ACA)

Have you considered the older models ie; 3500,4500 and 6500 front drag baitrunners?

Corrosion resistant and originally designed for sea fishing, a newer version is available called the 4500B etc. Not too different to the original.These are bombproof and with care will survive all saltwater conditions

S/hand , the originals can be had for about£35 each, new models about £90.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Got a couple of the old 3500s for carbelling for £30ish off Flea Bay.Very rugged and a great pedigree as they evolved from the very original baitrunner which I think was called the Triton Seaspin. Not ideally suited for long casting as the spool is small but deep.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Looks interesting as i have never needed a full blown big pit reel.

My only reservation is the front baitrunner. I like the switch at the back as when i am a little tired i have been known to forget to swith it on. A quick look and you can see if it is set.

But will give them a look. When my 10000 GteB's need replacing but that will not be for a while.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Ive got a 5000 xtea and can't decide if I want another of those or this for my Birthday. It's very tempting to go for the Ultegra...

Ravelling Tangler

Reaction score
I was just about to give n to temptation and buy one of these when I read the long-term revied on the Fox Stratos 7000.

Now I'm back at can't-make-my-mind-up status !

If only I had more money, I'd get oneof each (of course) !

Ravelling Tangler

Reaction score
Thanks for that - I'll check their weights; I will be using it for spinning/jigging as much as baitrunning so the weight will matter to me.

Ravelling Tangler

Reaction score
CONFESSION TIME

I was short of money and after a lot of dithering I bought a Grauvell Delphos ZR-3500 at Veals mail order.

A bit heavy, but rugged and about the same size as the 5500 XT-B

Perhaps a bit "agricultural" compared with the Shimano, but it is still fairly smooth and has balanced rotor etc.

So far it has done well - including helping me play a 25-30lb Cod that I hooked on a 100g casting jig (a SeaWaver "Baltic") fished from a Shimano STC 330H rod with 20lb braid.

That Cod fought well and though I applied a fair bit of pressure I didn't push the line to the max because I didn't recognize the type of fight :- no head-shaking, just smooth medium speed runs every now and then . . . . . and I was hoping it might be a 15lb+ Halibut (I can dream, can't I ?)

Anyway, the reel has been good so far and has smooth drag and runner-drag and is well behaved.

This does not mean I won't be buying a 5500 XT-B, just that I am going toneed more success selling my body before I can buy one; so far I have lost money every time I have tried that.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
I have one for sale - brand new -never been used £80 plus p&p -won in a competition in a fishing mag

Ravelling Tangler

Reaction score
tempted - as I am by the 2 "XSB 5500" [sic] advertised in the swap shop bit of Angling Times (this week).

I'm guessing he means Ultegra and I do know that the XSB doesn't have the baitrunner spool. Can you fit a 5500-XTB spool onto a 5500-XSB ?

Have you noticed the variability of the Shimano numbering with model e.g. a 4500 of one model holds as much line as the 5500 of another ?

Do you know if their "capacity" figures are reliable e.g. if it says "260yd of 12lb mono" will it hold about 240-280 yd of about 0.30-0.32 mono ?