school boy fishing

Lord Paul

Reaction score
I got to a local lake at 8:30 this evening - knowing I had about an hour to fish I took the most basic kit.

11 ft rod 1.2lb tc, pin reel with 6lb line, landing net, uhooking mat,hooks, float, shot prawnd and bread.

I put some prawns in he margin , set up my rod and sat cross legged on the unhoking mat and fished - then put a couple of slices of bread in the reeds.

I had a roach of about 1/2lb on the prawn then the carp began tp slurp the bread like a toothless grandad eating porridge.

A piece of bread went on the size 14 hook and was lowered into the orgy that was feeding carp.

A common of about 5lb was the first fish to grace the bank - then I put out some more breadand gave the carp a few minutes to regain their confidence.

Soon the carp were competing for the bread like a fat lass after the last ham rollat a wedding buffet.

A mirror of around 7lb then fell to the hooked bread, after unhhoking I packed up for 9:30.

A nice hour of fishing withoutmy usual "Take to much gear" approach

I must try the simple methods more.

Reaction score
Nice one General.

Big respect to the angler who manages to fit in a sesh while heading up a military coups.

I'm trying to get out of a mindset of "its not worth going for less than 5 hours" - result I don't fish as often as I could.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
True Matt

I used to think I've I couldn't get at least4 hours then I'd not bother - but I've been having 2 hours in an evening and taking too much gear and bait.

I'll be trying the "less is enough" method more often

By the way - they may be a position as "Minister for toilet functions" in a small South American counrty coming up soon - I'll let youhave firdt refusal.

Keith M

Reaction score
Going back to basics now and then is often more fun isnt it Lord Paul.

Matt said: "I'm trying to get out of a mindset of "its not worth going for less than 5 hours" - result I don't fish as often as I could."

Some of mymostenjoyable sessionslast year were short 2.5 hour stints after work with one avon rod roving on the upper lea near Wheathamstead with an absoluteminimum of tackle. Not the biggest of fish with only 3 to5lb Barbel and chub around the 2.5lbmark but very enjoyable fishing just the same.

Reaction score
Matt im the same as you it takes so long getting organised that I wont go unless Im fishing for at least 5 hours.

Result of the above is I havent been fishing since last October, however today as scorchio as it is im going to have a quick session after round 2 when Ive finshed my bits and pieces.

Cant wait

Lord Paul

Reaction score
true slimey

I can pack up in 5 minutes -or ten minutes if Jenkins packs (bloody good cahp - but a bit slow)

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
M'Lord, could you please be little more succinct in your headings.

I thought this was going to be an expose of your fondness of youths. My initial expectation of shock and horror was quickly subdued you'll be happy to hear.

Good angling M'Lord /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif