think i may have found a very good ultralight/perch lure rod

markdj

Reaction score
hi all

as the title suggests

i purchased a prologic savagegear drop shotting rod 5-20g, it weighs absolutely nothing, its like a toothpick, only 6'6" in length and is very well made

i chose the savagegear rods as i own a few of thier other predator rods

ie...2x 8' mp predator lure rods, 2x 10' mp predator lure rods (these are brilliant for canal deadbaiting, and other small venues)

and lastly, 2x 12' mp predator deadbait rods 3.25lb (these are the best pike rods iv used, ever.....really light and slim and can blast out a big bait and bomb) and have slim blanks

i dont work for prologic, but i have found thier rods to be excellent for the price

all the best, mark

B

binka

Thanks for posting that Mark.

I used to have great fun with a 5'6 Grandeslam pen rod until I lent it to someone and it never returned and i've been looking for a light, compact replacement for it ever since.

It's really great fun to use these tiny rods and surprising the amount of backbone they have when Mr Pike comes along and snaffles your tiny Mepps

binkasbirthdaandothers026_zps0426bb72.jpg

redfin123

Reaction score
hi mark, last year I was looking for the very same thing, so I went to billy clarkes tackle shop for a look round and with billies help I settled for a shimano beast master bx 2.40m light spinning rod. Its rated for casting 10-30 gram and is a lovely little rod and I can recommend it, its well worth a look I,m very happy with it.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
hi mark, last year I was looking for the very same thing, so I went to billy clarkes tackle shop for a look round and with billies help I settled for a shimano beast master bx 2.40m light spinning rod. Its rated for casting 10-30 gram and is a lovely little rod and I can recommend it, its well worth a look I,m very happy with it.

Funny that, that's what billy suggested to me too! I also love my Shimano travel concept Exage spinning rods too, fantastic quality for the money!

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I used to have great fun with a 5'6 Grandeslam pen rod until I lent it to someone
You know, same thing happened to me as well! :D

I have an Abu Conolon Pro American rod of 8ft and only casts 12grams. I have had a jack on it of about 4lbs though, but it's super with very light lures of 3gms and the extra length allows a bit of play for the jacks. The other light rod is a Daiwa (USA again) that casts 21gms (although I can push it) and a bit shorter at 6½ft.

shortpaul

Reaction score
I spent ages working out what rod to get this season. I used to have a super cheap Shakespeare 9 footer that came with a few spinners. I used it mostly for commercial carping, it was so beefy...

I ended up with a Ron Thompson Tyran. I wanted a telescopic rod so I can just go out on a whim, and use a 2500 reel with it. It seems perfectly fine, and the eyes are braid safe which is good. They're supposed to be stupidly strong, but this one has a nice tippy action that bends right through, so should handle some pike and eels fairly well.

I'm beginning to suspect modern technology has made it possible, at last, to make very good telescopic rods that compare to 2 or 3 piece rods. It's not the most refined rod, and while it's light, it's nowhere near as slim as many other ultralite/medium lure rods. Still, cheap as chips and light enough to carry all day.

mick b

Reaction score
Binka,

Just love the look on your terriers face, priceless!

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Looks like a scene from the lost classic Tin Tin and the Angry Esox......:)

Well done, Snowy - an extra can of Cesar for you, my lad....

B

binka

pmsl! :D

She's not actually my dog but I take her with me to quiet places as she loves the water... first time I ever took her she was watching me land a fish when she suddenly launched herself into the water and tried to beat the landing net to the fish!

Visions of getting back minus dog and explaining to her owners "great day, had a few but the dog drowned!" :eek: :)

barry h

Reaction score
i have a fox terminator jig and crank so sexy i sleep with it rated 7 to 28 grams 8 foot of real ciass great for chub and perch had both to good sizes also some nice pike barry

dave marrs

Reaction score
I've been using a Fox Rage 3-15g rod on a few canal venues over the last year. It's a cracking bit of kit, I use it mainly with 3-10g jigheads and 2-4in shads and have landed loads of small Zeds to about 6lbs or so and a few small Perch and Pike on it. My usual starting point on a shallow canal is a 5g jighead with a 2.5in Shad, fished on 11lb braid from a tiny little Okuma Trio reel - it casts and works the lure lovely. A great little set up, not too expensive and every fish goes like a train!

dave marrs

Reaction score
I've also just invested in a lovely little Team Dragon 5-25g Lure rod, which given its relative lightness has a real backbone to it. In fact, I've just used it for the first time tonight and managed to christen it during a 45 minute session on my local river on the last hour of daylight. I managed 2 lovely little Zeds using a 2.5in Shad with a 5g jig head, you won't often get away with a jig that light on this river but after 4 hours of relentless rain, all was totally flat calm.

DragonZed.jpg
[/URL]

This one was the biggest at about 3lbs or so - although a very modest fish, really, really good fun on this type of gear!