Help needed!

callaghan1993

Reaction score
I am thinking of fishing the chesterfield area of the river rother tomorrow. Looking for pike of any size!! Any advice with regards to spots/baits/methods are gratefully accepted! :)

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't think the Rother has recovered enough yet for pike to thrive as they are very delicate and the river still has a few problems with pollution. There are some pike in the canal though, try bluebell bank, cast to the far bank and you should find a few jacks if nothing else!

Small mepps spinners and small plugs should do the trick!

B

binka

If he went for the canal I hope he faired better than a mate and I did today.

High hopes when we set out this morning, parked at Shireoaks Marina and worked our way down through Rhodesia and on towards Worksop without a sniff, biblical hail shower in a spot with no cover and all we could do was stand in it and keep on fishing.

It was difficult to be fair, very long stretches still iced solid and a biting wind where you were exposed but if you could get out of it and in the sun it felt like a different day.

Spring's a comin :)

clive morton

Reaction score
dont know about chesterfield streches but i do know there are some good fish further down in the rother valley catcliffe area some big perch as well but with all this snow melt you may be wasting your time.

callaghan1993

Reaction score
I don't think the Rother has recovered enough yet for pike to thrive as they are very delicate and the river still has a few problems with pollution. There are some pike in the canal though, try bluebell bank, cast to the far bank and you should find a few jacks if nothing else!

Small mepps spinners and small plugs should do the trick!

Cheers mark, I'll give it a try, which part is the bluebell bank? The part where it runs into the little pond in the field? Didn't even try the other day with all the ice. :( roll on spring!!

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes, Blue bell bank is that large bend with the overflow sluice that runs out on to the rother flood plain!

callaghan1993

Reaction score
Yes, Blue bell bank is that large bend with the overflow sluice that runs out on to the rother flood plain!

Well that went well! Went down yesterday full of optimism, armed with a bag full of lures only to find that stretch of the canal the is empty!! Felt a right pillock walking along with my rod! Sod's law!

B

binka

Well that went well! Went down yesterday full of optimism, armed with a bag full of lures only to find that stretch of the canal the is empty!! Felt a right pillock walking along with my rod! Sod's law!

:D Now that's got to be the weakest excuse i've heard... did you catch anything? ;)

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Its about time they left the Chessy canal alone! Its the third time in as many years they have emptied it, not good for the fishing :(