New swim or venue - opening gambit

David Dalton

Reaction score
You are fishing at a new venue, or perhaps an unfamiliar swim at a venue you know. You are not quite sure of what tactics to use, so are there some tried and trusted ones you would employ first?

I fish mainly rivers, so it would be maggot feeder (catches anything except pike) or a lobworm rolled around on light leger tackle.

Keith M

Reaction score
I wouldn't usually fish the same old method on an unknown water without prior knowledge of what's in there.

I am assuming that there is no-one about to pick the brains from to help me.

First of all I would search the water in front of me for features that would attract fish like natural larders where food congregates or washes past; or gives the fish somewhere to hide from the sun and/or preditors; or to rest from the current etc. etc. etc.

If the water was clear this can be easier because not only can you see your fish but locating features on the bottom will be made much easier.

Once I have decided what fish I am going to target and whereabouts I am going to fish and the method I am going to use; I will then up my tackle.

keith (BoldBear)

Last edited:

bigfish74

Reaction score
If its a river then the stick float everytime for me if that fails as mentioned a plastic pig full of maggots if that fails up of tea a fag and a rethink

Andy

mick b

Reaction score
Since returning to this country I've been doing this quite a bit.

Always start with a 4gm Avon on 6lb line and 2lb bottom, this way if a catch a root, rubbish or whatever I can pull for a break and only loose a hook.

Never use a plummet, just keep adjusting the float depth.
I'd never use a feeder rig because I don't know what the bottom is like and it's far too static to achieve a good 'picture'.

bigfish74

Reaction score
Since returning to this country I've been doing this quite a bit.

Always start with a 4gm Avon on 6lb line and 2lb bottom, this way if a catch a root, rubbish or whatever I can pull for a break and only loose a hook.

Never use a plummet, just keep adjusting the float depth.
I'd never use a feeder rig because I don't know what the bottom is like and it's far too static to achieve a good 'picture'.

You cant bear watching a nice avon floating downstrwam waiting for it to bury

Andy