What is the purpose of Pigeon droppings in groundbait?

Reaction score
A serious question

While removing some wood pigeon droppingss from my kids' swings recently I recalled that French anglers were once known to use these droppings in groundbait.

Is this still done?

What quality/characteristic/effect does it have ?

Any ideas?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Matt,

Yes, it is still a pretty widespread practice, especially on canal matches.

The theory was that racing pigeons were fed on expensive seeds which when 'dropped' were ground up and when added to a groundbiat served to release a lot of oils and helped with the clouding effect of the mixture.

I used it extensively when fishing matches in Norway and France for about 4 years particularly when Roach were the target species.

I still use it from time to time for adding to my feeder mix when roach fishing.

Van den Eynde sell it in the UK as to do Sensas, but I get mine from France (cheaper don't you know)

Nathan

Reaction score
I think it's added to cloud the water but without adding any food - you can buy bags of Pigeon sh*t from tackle shops - it'ssold buy van den eyndesee here

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Matt,

No, it is all commercial, at around one euro a bag there is no incentive to get mucky.

Now the nice weather is here we tend to sit at the outside bars on the squares and watch the lovely ladies as they all walk by - far better than gathering pigeon sh!te . . .

[insert smiling thing - - - > HERE]

Reaction score
Now you've got me jealous Peter.

Sitting outside a French bar (or Belgain for that matter, or come to think of it Dutch or Spanish) sipping a tasty beer and munching a [insert local speciality]while chatting and watching the world go by must be one of the most pleasent ways to spend a lazy afternoon.

We just don't do siestas here!

Lord Paul

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Matt Corker wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Now you've got me jealous Peter.

Sitting outside a French bar (or Belgain for that matter, or come to think of it Dutch or Spanish) sipping a tasty beer and munching a [insert local speciality]while chatting and watching the world go by must be one of the most pleasent ways to spend a lazy afternoon.

We just don't do siestas here!</blockquote>
Don't forget the down side - the place is full of French

Reaction score
didnt sensas try marketing it over here for a while a few years back????

had some myself that a few freinds bought me back from france,brilliant fished semi dry and neat as a cloudy groundbait for roach,also added it to a standard bream mix 50/50 and balled it in,never really worked though........just kept pullingLOTS of roach into my swims/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

p.s. use some rubber gloves when mixing,not the most hygeinic of things to be handling when you dont have wash facilitys to hand, although it did stop me bitting my nails for a while/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif