Bait droppers.... do you use them??.. make them??

D

Dave Feeney

Anybody use a bait dropper ?? more to the point does anyone make their own??
if so, how did you make it, what did you use.
I've lost mine ( big one) and at ?5 plus I need a replacement, just to mean to cough up:)
thanks

J

John Pleasance

Use them all the time Dave,absolutely essential piece of kit for the Hants.Avon or any river with a reasonable flow.

Make them as well,small tuna tins are a good size to start on.I'm fairly practical so normally solder on a hinge but you can do it in many other ways as well.The thing is the parts cost you next to nothing so if you screw one up chuck it away and start again.

If you know any electricians the tops from joint boxes in metal conduit make good lids.

You've got three months to get it right!

P

Paul Williams

Electrical ties make great hinges.....braizing rods make great catch/release rods......and as John says food tins carefully opened make great droppers, Merv Wilkinson is a master at it, last time i bumped into him he was using those Fray bentos steak and kidney pie tins, they deposit about a pint in one go!

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Dave
Got a brand new one at the bottom of my tackle box - tell me where to send it
PS
In my day the used to be made out of Cherry Blossom polish tins!!
PPS
The one I have to give away isn't!!!

D

Dave Feeney

Thanks Kevin'
just tried to e-mail you direct but not sure if it worked or not.
I've started to make one out of tuna tin and other bits that the lads have recomended so I should be O.K, but thanks for that kind offer, I'll keep posting if any problems crop up.
thanks again

T

Terry Mann

Dave,
Have a look at Archie Braddocks website ,his bait dropper is abit different
but it is very easy to make and does work.

M

Martin Blackmun

Dave, paint it black if you intend to use it during your fishing, whether shop or home made. Prevents flashing! Vey useful for topping up after fish. I leave mine set-up on a carp rod for use during the session if static. If roving, drop one in before you leave. Good Luck, Marti..

R

Ron Clay

After destroying several bait dropppers on the Trent last season I am now looking for other ways of baiting a fast flowing swim over rocks and gravel.

Paul, could you elaborate on how good old Merv uses a Fray Bentos tin...

D

Dave Johnson

I think you have to take the lid off before you put them in the oven Ron. Then about 45 mins at 170 should do it-or until the pastry rises and browns.....:eek:)

D

Dave Feeney

Well it's made, and if I say so myself quite impressive,and it's down to you guys, thanks, still chuckling to my self over pauls suggestion of a fray bentos steak and kidney pie tin, the look on my mates faces if I used one of them would be priceless, they still talk about my old shop bought one and that was only 3 inches......
That's it, I'm going to make one and call it The Beast, should get a laugh when I USE IT ON THE CANAL:) :)

D

Dave Feeney

Ooops nearly forgot.. seriously what kind of rod would you use for the steak and kidney job????? also b.s of line????
thanks

M

Martin Blackmun

Use a 2lb tc carp rod with 10lb line and swing it rather than cast. You could always try a pole and cup if there is not much flow. This is a big bonus when night fishing as it's almost silent. Use a roller and load the cup six to eight times. I rarely fish further than a rod length out, so have benefitted from both methods.

If roving, tackle up your carp rod with a big loop at the end of the line, capable of fitting over yer tin. Plant bait in a few likey looking swims. Return to car, replace baiting rod with fishing rod, tackle up, have a coffee, listen to the radio, make as much noise as you wish then after an hour or so return to try each swim in turn. Keep quiet and off the skyline.

I shall be trying Barbicle form August, having heard some great reports. Good luck..

A

Andy Maskery

Bait droppers are the best bit of kit ever invented! "but" for an alternative method why not try frozen helpings of loosefeed. Freeze cubes of freebies before a session, drop them in your chosen swims then have a drink,smoke,sandwich for twenty minutes while it dissolves. Trust me this is a killer method.

J

John Howard

As an alternative to metal tins wot ave sharp edges. You can buy various sizes of plastic food boxes from them cheapo shops usually 4 for a quid. I have used these to make droppers that hold up to half a pint.

P

Paul Williams

Ron,
i'm not sure exactly how Merv makes em.....i think he cuts the top off with a hacksaw, leaving the lip on the lid, he drills/punchs holes in the lid and the bottom and uses a welding rod (fluxless!) coplete with srewed on lead for the centre rod/lock bar......those electical tyes make good hinges..........i played a big severn pike on a bait dropper once!

L

Laurie Harper

If you want to bait swims close to the bank and the water's not too deep, you can put a long plastic rod tube into the water until it nearly touches the bottom and just pour the bait down it. It's quite effective.

P

Paul Williams

Not in the Severn mate!.....i tried it on a boat, you need one hell of a bracket setup to hold it stable.

M

Martin Blackmun

Laurie,

Would work on the kennet or Cherwell. I am once again inspired. How about a telescopic landing net, or at least two sections giving nearly 10' in length?
Marti..