Collecting Worms and Head Torches

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Hi, i know it's been asked before, but, when are the best times to collect worms and what might i need to take with me?

Also, what head torch do you recommend that doesn't break the bank and is reliable? (up to £20.00p)

Reason i've asked are, i really want to try to get back in to some sort of fishing when the better weather arrives, and i want to target Perch on the Float. I know you guys have the knowledge and the experience and i'm sure you'll help me out :D

All hints and tips will be gratefully received with a GREAT BIG THANK YOU.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi Steph,

Don't think you will have much luck with the worms this weather mate :D
seriously I find that a bucket of warm water with a little fairy liquid in (and I mean a little) tipped on to the lawn or wherever works a treat. regarding head torches, well I have a very powerfull, very expensive one as I need a good one for my hill walking but you could pick a nice little LED head torch up for about a tenner, try Go outdoors mate they usually have something in at the sort of price. Don't go to Ebay as you might end up with a pig!

Hope that helps mate

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Aldi are selling a seriously good warm winter fleece lined baseball cap with integral LEDs built into the peak. For a FIVER! Go get 'em boys :)

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Thanks Mark, i don't have a grass garden, and don't fancy carrying round a bucket of soapy water, i could perhaps ask my neighbours though. Or, just do it while they sleep, like a Worm Burglar :D

Geoff, i zoomed on to the Aldi website,but alas, there were none of the Caps on there. I guess they've come and gone, but, i will keep an eye out as they usually return at some point.

nicepix

Reaction score
The best head torch I've used is from Tescos and has a red beam option. Red light doesn't spook them as much as white light does. You'll also need a bar towel or similar to wipe your finger and thumb on as they will get slimy. When you spot a worm laying on the surface grip it but don't pull. Just hold it until the worm stops pulling against you. Then gently draw it out of the hole. Pull too hard and you'll break it.

Contrary to what others have said I find that this is a good time to collect worms, once the snow has gone that is. Flooded fields have worms very close to the surface and are easy to harvest. When I'm setting mole traps I can collect loads of worms from where the mole hills are. Mole hills = good worm ground ;)

Another trick is to put a piece of old carpet or tarpaulin down in a corner of your garden. Worms will congregate under the cover and you can collect a few just by uncovering them.

nicepix

Reaction score
Thanks nicepix, some good and easy to follow tips there, much appreciated.

Buy Tesco 7 LED Head Torch from our Camping Tools & Accessories range - Tesco.com

I found this head torch on the Tesco Website, looks good enough and at £9.96p it is very reasonably priced too.

That's the one! Also very useful if you go night fishing. Fish aren't as spooked by red light and it doesn't affect your night vision like white light does. For tying hooks and re-baiting it's ideal.

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
I found this article about Lobworms and fishing with Worms and thought it would be Prudent, and useful to others that may be following this Thread.

Worms

barbelboi

Reaction score
The old way is far more fun and challenging - if it hasn't rained hose the lawn (if not banned) after dark creep around with a hand torch, spot a lob, torch on the deck - work out which end is in the hole - squeeze the other end and hang on 'til it submits - QED:D
Jerry

laguna

Reaction score
I find that a bucket of warm water with a little fairy liquid in (and I mean a little) tipped on to the lawn or wherever works a treat.
Great little tip that Mark, something we learned in science class all those years ago. :thumbs:

I guess it will work anywhere once the temperatures have improve and another good source for red worm is compost heaps and piles of grass cuttings etc.

chav professor

Reaction score
Lob worming tonight....... I reakon the ground will be crawling with them..... An awesome bait. I hate being frugal with lobs - a tub of 10 for £2 goes nowhere. On their day, there is nothing to beat a humble worm.