Removing float stops!

danozzy

Reaction score
When using float stops/feeder stops what is your preferred method of removing them?
Do you just throw them or how do you remove them and insert them back onto the wire??
Would using a bait needle stretch them?
Just hate the fact that they need discarding after just one use.
Many thanks,
Dan

benny samways

Reaction score
Im a tight git too and get round this by sliding the stops down (I use them for ledger rigs so there is rarely a float to get in the way, if there is a float just do what Im about to suggest twice), and then tie a loop in your line. Use this loop to put the stops onto your new rig/set up.

The float stops loose grip as you move them from one rig to anothr though so bare that in mind. The knot from the loop must widen the bore.

ATB
Benny Samways

danozzy

Reaction score
Ahhhhh hadn't thought of that, yes I'll try that next good advice thanks!
I think maybe once of twice is enough before they begin to stretch.

Reaction score
Try this,remove stops from line and then push them onto a 0.6mm crotchet hook (available from knitting shops ).then hook the original wire that the stops came on onto the crotchet hook and slide the stop down onto the wire job done.Alternatively use some 5 amp fuse wire.
Ok it may widen the bore but you can certainly get a couple more outings from them.

danozzy

Reaction score
That's a really good idea, think I may raid the wifes sewing tin.
Thanks great advice

danozzy

Reaction score
Ha ha ha thanks Mark I was just waiting for someone to say that ?

terry m

Reaction score
Gents, I don't want to sound critical or dismissive, but surely by the time you have bought crochet hooks, fuse wire and spent half of your life arsing around with them, it would be better to use a new float stop!

Especially as the end result does not grip properly. Go on, throw caution to the wind and use a new float stop - you know you want to really!!:wh

Morespiders

Reaction score
Best keeping them in a tin, you never know what scientific development may arise in a few years time

cg74

Reaction score
If you're that aggrieved at the cost, use pole elastic or power gum, £2 will get you 5-8 metres, just tie it on with a stop knot.

danozzy

Reaction score
I think some people have misunderstood the thread but possibly it could be the way I wrote it!
The cost isn't the issue in the slightest it's just the fact that it seems silly to discard them after just one use but in this throw away culture I suppose it's the norm!
I just wondered if anyone re used them and if they did then how!!
:)

Reaction score
It's is silly to discard them, so eat them instead. I haven't seen anything stating that they are bad for you.

If you pick out a big bogey then you don't put it back do you? You either flick it or lick it. So far you have been flicking. All I'm doing is suggesting you try licking.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
I think some people have misunderstood the thread but possibly it could be the way I wrote it!
The cost isn't the issue in the slightest it's just the fact that it seems silly to discard them after just one use but in this throw away culture I suppose it's the norm!
I just wondered if anyone re used them and if they did then how!!

Don't worry too much Dan, you need to take some comments on here with a pinch of salt ;):D:D

By the way, do you come from Yorkshire:)?

danozzy

Reaction score
No worries at all, all taken with a pinch of salt I promise!
Nope not Yorkshire, Essex I'm afraid!

danozzy

Reaction score
It's ok but certainly the last 10 years or so it's getting worse (talking about Colchester).
Everything focused around commuting into London and new housing estates being thrown up left right and centre!
It's so busy and the infrastructure just can't cope with anything else, they even build on flood plains (local council and planners need a rocket up there arse)
Lol rant over apart from that its ok!!