Five Minutes With Ron Clay

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Thanks for this (Matt?), saved to favourites as well. Nice to hear from Ron again.

Stu

Reaction score
Shame Ron's not around, I miss the Rontraversial comment and wisdom...

Whilst we're on Ron tip...

I picked up two **** Walker books the other day (Fly Dressing Innovations and Modern Fly Dressings)... All in manky condition so no resale value, but lovely to own some more angling classics :)

On another Ron tip I still want to know what happened on the Leam near the wood on a roach trip, that meant he'd never go back...

That's a precis of the end of a cracking fishing tale related in a very generous interview Ron did for me on my first gig for the now sadly defunct Midland Angler...

The year was 1997apparently, it was August on the upper Leam roaching with a mate... then something happened...

C'mon Ron fill in the blanks mate? I've been intrigued for eight years now :)

Last edited:

dezza

Reaction score
Shame Ron's not around, I miss the Rontraversial comment and wisdom...

Whilst we're on Ron tip...

I picked up two **** Walker books the other day (Fly Dressing Innovations and Modern Fly Dressings) and a first edition of Peter Wheat's 'Fighting Barbel' for a song... All in manky condition so no resale value, but lovely to own some more angling classics :)

On another Ron tip I still want to know what happened on the Leam near the wood on a roach trip, that meant he'd never go back...

That's a precis of the end of a cracking fishing tale related in a very generous interview Ron did for me on my first gig for the now sadly defunct Midland Angler...

The year was 1997apparently, it was August on the upper Leam roaching with a mate... then something happened...

C'mon Ron fill in the blanks mate? I've been intrigued for eight years now :)

I think you are going to have to wait for my book for that one.

The River Leam is one of the most wonderful of English streams. It contains good sized chub, but nothing massive - 5lbs 3oz was my biggest. It also has plenty of perch over 2 lbs, roach to well over 11/2 lbs and a few very big dace if you can find them. I one fluked a catch of 6 Leam dace which went 3 lbs as the week before I caught 6 Warwickshire Avon Dace that also went 3 lbs.

I'll never do that again.

chav professor

Reaction score
I think you are going to have to wait for my book for that one.

The River Leam is one of the most wonderful of English streams. It contains good sized chub, but nothing massive - 5lbs 3oz was my biggest. It also has plenty of perch over 2 lbs, roach to well over 11/2 lbs and a few very big dace if you can find them. I one fluked a catch of 6 Leam dace which went 3 lbs as the week before I caught 6 Warwickshire Avon Dace that also went 3 lbs.

I'll never do that again.

Look forward to the book Ron! Put me down for a copy and WELCOME BACK:)

dezza

Reaction score
I have been working on it on and off for the past few months. It's not easy as much of it is historical and gleaning all the facts has been very difficult. Most of the people I knew in the 50s and 60s are deceased.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I have been working on it on and off for the past few months. It's not easy as much of it is historical and gleaning all the facts has been very difficult. Most of the people I knew in the 50s and 60s are deceased.

I'm sure it will be worth waiting for Ron.
Jerry