the kitchen sink

xenon

Reaction score
the thread on losing stuff got me thinking about how much gear we take with us. I do tend to take far too much "just in case" and often wind up setting up 3+ rods, which often means I seem to fish several lines in a half arsed manner.
Obvious solution is to restrict myself to taking only one or two rods but don't seem to be able to manage this. Is it just me?

trotter2

Reaction score
Your probably fishing stillwaters I fish rivers but this is what I do mate you could comply this to anywhere with a little thought

I Set up just one rod and reel:).
I have my floats set up on winders (saves time) I pick the ones I need for the day say a couple of sticks and a wag (3 in total)
Set all three floats for the correct trotting depth individually at the distance you want to fish them.
After you have them all set up just tie each float on as and when you need them. Its just one knot to tie and your back out on the correct line with the right depth. Takes 30 seconds to tie the knot saves a load of gear and messing about.
That is for the float rod of course if you fish the bomb or feeder you will need a second rod set up

xenon

Reaction score
Thanks Trotter-good tip. As a matter of fact i am a river man through and through -stillwaters just seem dead to me. Thinking further, I guess it's not the time spent setting up various rigs as the tendency to bait up loads of swims and spend all day (and night occasionally) running around between swims like some demented nutter thinking this will maximise my chances. I really should know better at my age.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
You're not alone, I always take everything in case I need them and end up using the same rod and reel:eek:

I have tried to leave things at home, but I always regret it and convince myself that if I had brought the other things, I would have done better.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When I was a kid I used to take a rod reel and a tobacco tin full of bits; that was it.
Bait was a tin of meat, a lump of cheese or a few slices of bread, failing that I would dig a few worms. I didn't catch much compared to today but I think I had allot more fun and every trip was an adventure.

trotter2

Reaction score
Thanks Trotter-good tip. As a matter of fact i am a river man through and through -stillwaters just seem dead to me. Thinking further, I guess it's not the time spent setting up various rigs as the tendency to bait up loads of swims and spend all day (and night occasionally) running around between swims like some demented nutter thinking this will maximise my chances. I really should know better at my age.

Ok I fish river matches.
The other good thing I find is if you have a long peg in a match and you need to move it takes just a few minutes to up sticks, with some lads that would be virtually impossible with all that gear.
If I am pleasure fishing I pre bait a few swims, gear is all in my pockets (waistcoat) one rod and a bait bucket if I am using the mash.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
There was a time when I took a rucksack and a shoulder bag full of gear plus a rod holder with 2 rods and a pole

Now I take what I need to fish the style I want to target the fish I'm fishing for PLUS a few bits and pieces in case I need to change methods

B

binka

Bare minimum of gear needed for each session for me, in summer (remember those?) on the river I often won't take anything to sit on other than a small cushion to park myself on... I like the ease of which I can just grab the minimum of stuff after work and shoot off if I fancy an impromptu session :)

mick b

Reaction score
I take two rods, a shortish quiver and a longish trotter.

I set both rods up at home before I go, sometimes days before, because the light is better and there is none of the " lets get fishing" rush.

When I arrive and after I've got my togs on, I just put whichever rod I want to use together and I'm off.

I also keep a folder with my floats ready rigged onto a length of line that included the ollivette and the float stops, thus if I want to change something I just tie the mono of the selected float on to my reel line and slide the whole lot over the knot, cut it off and attach the hooklength.

The quiver rod is always rigged the same but without the hooklength or the feeder/weight, I really dunno why I take it because I adore watching my float go down the river :)

Terry D

Reaction score
I keep several stick and waggler floats on pole winders and just join them to my main line loop to loop style - easy setup and fishing within minutes. You need largish loops though to pass the winder through before you unravel it. Never seems to affect casting or trotting the swim.

trotter2

Reaction score
Some lads resemble a walking tackle shop, taking so much gear would really do my head in:confused:

terry m

Reaction score
Whether I am plotting up for a four day session, wandering down the river for and afternoon or spending a day gravel pit piking, I always try to take the minimum of tackle.

That comes down to reasonable planning, knowing what I am going to target and the likely methods.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I used to take loads of gear when I was match fishing and I think it scared me for life :)
I now just take what I need and feel loads better for it, I am not as knackered at the end of the session anymore :)

terry m

Reaction score
I guess the key question to ask yourself is when was the last time that you were on the bank and REALLY needed somehting that you had knowingly left at home. If the answer is rarely or never then you have either perfected yoor needs, or maybe you are taking too much kit?

trotter2

Reaction score
If you are fishing a river you need to ask your self how much kit you actually need for a days fishing

Rod and reel
landing net handle ( All Fit in a small light quiver)
bank sticks

Floats= half a doz different sticks, 4 wagglers, a couple of avons and chubbers

Hooks to nylon in a wallet
split shot
5 feeders
and half a doz leads
forceps
Bait dropper
All this lot in your pockets

bait, landing net and a folding seat, I fit these in the net bag

waders if you need them and a bait apron

that is about the lot Lol

Last edited:

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
As anglers though, we should be prepared and not assume what we are going to encounter and decide how the fish are going to behave if they are going to have our bait.

:confused: