Anyone Advise Please?

Risque Manoofus

Reaction score
Im not a bivvy angler at all. I know absolutely nothing about them. However twice a year I?go to a fish in.

I dont think I need a full bivvy and I made the mistake 2 years ago buying a carp chair not asking asdvice prior to handing over my cash. I ended up with one that requires a JCB to take it anywhere.

What are the minimum requirements for shelter, (recommended makes)?and some kip for an overnight stay in July in your opinion please? At the minute I have my brolly and my Fox stalker recliner chair and thats it.

Anything I buy would be used once maybe twice a year absolute maximum. After that it would be in the loft.

I would value your advise and views please fellers.

Reaction score
why not go for a storm shelter ? its like a brolly with sides . it sounds just wot you need . You can fit them in a quiver or anything that will take a brolly

B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

thats right i just bought one from ebay £ 19 .99 very cheap. 2 mtr brolly with a zip on side skirt complete with pegs and bag .

DZ

Reaction score
Daiwa mission ovalbrolly (with flaps)is the pigeon- £50 light and slides into your quiver- and if you get into the night fishing malarky- there's an over-wrap for another £30.

F

Fred Bonney

Stick to your brolly, just dress according to conditions.

BUT , remember, even in July that morning dew, can make you damp and cold!

S

Sean Meeghan

I agree with Fred. I've got a 50 inch 'Nubrolly' and a reclining chair and they're fine for the odd overnight session. I just wear my normal winter suit and I'm fine.

Useful additions are one of those fleecy picnic blankets with a waterproof backing and something to rest your legs on (either a cool box or the missus is fine, but you might have to peg the missus down to stop her fidgeting and disturbing your sleep).

M

mark norris (ACA)

If you are only going to use it a few times, why not look at millets or argos tents.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Some great oval brollies on the market for around £60 and all take a bedchair if you should need to use one.

Fred has it right if its only the odd night.

C

Cakey

the one I use.................
jrc_60in_oval.jpg

Risque Manoofus

Reaction score
Thanks fellers. I would be using it for around 4 days/3 nights at a time. Its realy just somewhere to get my head down. It seems daft to pay a couple of hundred quid or whatever for a bivvy to use it once/twice a year max.

Im disabledbut wont lie down lol so to speak and my missis is playing holy hell about me staying out overnight due to this. I think getting in and out of a tent would prove difficult to say the least particularly first thing in the morning and for toilet purposes too. I think the brolly with side flaps and my chair turned sideways with my feet up is the way to go. Ive had many a kip on my chair so I think its a flappy brolly and extra personal wrapping and a set of heavy duty earplugs to shut the missis up.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I'd strongly recommend a brolly with sides, similar to the one above, but go for one where all the rear ribs reach the floor. This makes a huge difference to the stability in the winds.

There are more and more manufacturers making them this way and they're getting cheaper all the time. I use a Trakker one but they've discontinued it.

Azler

Reaction score
ive got the j.r.c. pictured above and its as good as the day i bought it, which was second hand about7 years ago, its never failed me for my overnighters as its quick and easy to use and very transportable within a quiver.i do think that a lot of shelters made nowadays are a bit cheaper in both price and quality but there definatly better for your comfort, when you think about boiling the kettle, keeping your bait stored and out ofthe sun,and providing sufficient shelter from the element's inc.blinding sun at 30 celsius giving you a headache whist marrooning yourself, happy hunting!!!

sean baldwin

Reaction score
have a look at this http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500001501&langId=-1&searchTerms=carp+shelter<a href="http://www.fishingmagic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductLargeImagePopup?storeId=10001&jsparm=false&imageName=33-3250682A69UC448618X.jpg&imageText=++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++&jsparm=false" title="Click to see larger image" target="newWindow"></a>

stewart howe

Reaction score
The JRC Defender brolly is a good one and not to pricey seen them on ebay for around £70.00 i have one had it for aroundthree years now used it loads its quick and easy to erect comes with a groundsheet and is great for overnight sessions and day sessions when the wind is howling or its hammering it down with rain plus you will have plenty of space to store all your gear with not using a bedchair although there are some good reclining carp chairs available now which might help for a better nights sleep and still not take up the space of a bedchair.