Got It!!! The Nikon D300

The Monk

Reaction score
thats all I had left when I come out of Macdonalds.

What a lovely camera/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

The Monk

Reaction score
going off line for a while so i can figure out how everything works/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

If you want to figure how everything works, I suggest you take a few shots in P mode and then gradually get more advanced.

It's a heck of a sophisticated tool that at times will make you feel frustrated, but suddenly you find out how that bit works and a whole new field of operation opens it's door to you.

And you will notice that you can take upwards of 1000 pictures on one battery charge, virtually eliminating the need for an extra power pack.

Unless you want to enhance your street cred that is!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

And yet I now see a vision.

It is of Our Monk in his dark cave, a smallshaftof light penetrating the dank drab darkness and lighting up like a dim beacon, the D300!

"I've got it, I've got it", cackles The Monk.

"It is my precious!!!"

/forum/smilies/angry_smiley.gif

ANDY SKI

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

It's a heck of a sophisticated tool that at times will make you feel frustrated, but suddenly you find out how that bit works and a whole new field of operation opens it's door to you.

And you will notice that you can take upwards of 1000 pictures on one battery charge, virtually eliminating the need for an extra power pack.</blockquote>....and then they will come up with new even better model

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
......... and the first 1000 pics will be of his neighbours missus sunbathing in the garden /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

The Monk

Reaction score
haha, I`m going to hang on for the D400, I`m hoping this is going to last me 3 years or so, but its a cheaper than what I paid for the D100 and D200, /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif, yes her a number 38 looks great close up/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

The one to go for will be the D4.

69 megapixels, 150 frames/sec, 180 point focusing, 3 foot deep ultra battery pack, weight - 36 kg!

Now that's a camera!!!

The Monk

Reaction score
MOUSY.gif

I`ll wait until I find one in oxfam/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Colin Brett

Reaction score
I've got a friend coming over from the states on Wednesday, he said he could have got one for you for £750. Oh well, never mind /forum/smilies/baring_teeth_smiley.gif

Colin

G

Ged

Well done monk, you've waited long enough.
Where did you get it from?

The Monk

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Colin Brett wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

I've got a friend coming over from the states on Wednesday, he said he could have got one for you for £750. Oh well, never mind /forum/smilies/baring_teeth_smiley.gif

Colin</blockquote>
<blockquote class=quoteheader></blockquote>nice one Colin/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif <blockquote class=quoteheader></blockquote>
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ged wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Well done monk, you've waited long enough. Where did you get it from?</blockquote>jessops would you believe mate/forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif

W

Wolfman Woody

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

If you want to figure how everything works, I suggest you take a few shots in P mode and then gradually get more advanced.</blockquote>

Would you recommend as standard practice, Ron?

I've been using the "Scene" modes on mine and picking the conditions I want to shoot under. It offers Night, Landscape, Portrait, fireworks, cave, water, fog, etc.

I can't see what watching a programme on it would give me?

The Monk

Reaction score
haha scene modes, mickey mouse stuff, we have have that stuff on the proper cameras Woody, just auto (P), shutter priority (S), apearture priority (A) and full manuel (M) for the real men./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Monk will be very impressed with the P mode advice though Jeff, not being a very experienced photographer.

Oh Jeff, here's another good tip for you, don't forget to move further away with a telephoto lens.

And that fish-eye lens you've got, you can take other pictures with it you know, besides fish's eyes.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

The D300 does not have scene modes. All it has is a programmed auto, shutter priority, aperture priority and full manual control. In addition to these, is ISO control from 100 to 6400 ISO.

The programmed auto (P), sets the sutter speed and aperture to ensure optimal exposure in most situations. As such this mode is limited and for much of the time it's best to use aperture or shutter priority.

The programmed auto is useful if you want to give the camera to a novice to take a point and shoot shot.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

My Nikon D80 and Canon G6 had "Scene Modes". But other than the green bit for full auto, I never used them.

For action shots I tend to useshutter priority, setting the shutter on a fast speed to freeze action and letting the camera choose the aperture. In addition I like to ramp up the ISO to say 1000 or even higher. One of the big advantages of the D300 and D3 sensor is it's ability to turn out brilliant noise (grain)free images at high ISO.

For landscapes and views,I use aperture priority or manual.

But these days there is much less fiddling with camera settings as the final sorting out is done withPhotoshop.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

"Full Manuel for the He men"

From Barcelona mate!!!

/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif