lake district

tc1

Reaction score
can anyone help, i am going camping by lake windemere in the lake district i know about the fishing in the lakes themselves but can anyone give me advice about the commercial lakes around that area.

the first type of water will be a baggin venue because i am taking two newbies for there first fishing day out, and the second one would be a carp water with some nice big carp for me. any help would be great.

gerry h

Reaction score
take em on one of the lakes like grassmere ,its not always the best way to introduce people to fishing goin to ba baggin water ,as when they go somewhere thats not a baggin water they could be put off when times are more difficult catching somewhere else

John Heelis

Reaction score
there are 20 major lakes / reservoirs. and whole lot more other bodies of water.

as i remember one of britains rarest fish is only in the Lakes. the Venance or Vendance something along them lines. i vaguely remember read that one was caught a few years ago at Derwent Water. I definatly remember reading that Artic Charr have been caught at Coniston Water.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
i asked because it was a pub quiz question posed the other week at my local and the answer was

one lake windemere apparently all the others are called something water. anyway i didnt get any points and im looking for someone who knows the area to help me prove the quiz organiser wrong.

John Heelis

Reaction score
your quiz orginiser is wrong because Bassenthwaite Lake is regarded as the only true lake, Windermere technical can be called a lake due to the relation of it depth to it's breadth.

the suffix mere is a derivation of the latin mare or the dutch meer, which relates to the sea or inlet/outlet at some point in time. since the lakes were created during the ice age they would have run to the sea.

there is also some regards to the chemical make up of water that defines lakes from the deposits of the last ice age.