Waveney Chub Group

cg74

Reaction score
The Waveney Chub Group (WCG) has been formed to focus on the specimen sized chub in the River Waveney, Suffolk. We are particularly interested in chub of 6lb and above. As far as it is known, the WCG is the only specimen group active on the Waveney.

The group welcomes both the specimen hunter and traditionalist. Get the benefit of local water knowledge, methods, and rigs to give you a head start on your chub campaign.

This is an opportunity to share this knowledge with other like minded anglers.

The site is still in its infancy and under construction. Please feel free to join in.

Our Facebook group page will be up and running soon as well.

Waveney Chub Group : GroupSpaces

"We are particularly interested in chub of 6lb and above."

I'm sure you/they are interested in finding out where the biggies are but do you actually expect anglers to tell you where the bigger fish are located.

Not trying to poo-poo your idea, just add a little perspective.
This sort of thing will only work if all the members can and do share info of similar value.

Best of luck.:)

I've just seen who set up this group. Peter if you want me to remove my post I will do so, as I can't be doing with you grumbling about it.

Last edited:

Simon K

Reaction score
This is an opportunity to share this knowledge with other like minded anglers.

Why wouldn't they Colin? It's the fundamental basis of a Specimen Group.

It's not (cynically) about trying to attract in the angler(s) who "know" where the big fish already are (if they indeed exist), it's about working as a team to gain that knowledge.

A small group of us within Osprey Specimen Group have been doing this on the Lea for some years, keeping the knowledge contained within our Specimen Group.

Sounds an excellent idea to me and if trust is maintained, it'll work to everyone's benefit.

waveney_chubber

Reaction score
Of course the only way this group can work is if the members work together. We certainly do not expect members to tell us what swim they caught a fish from!
Long term, its like trying to complete a huge jigsaw. The more people that are helping the more chance of working out the bigger picture on the Waveney. Of course there are also those bits of the jigsaw that seem to go missing.

cg74

Reaction score
Why wouldn't they Colin? It's the fundamental basis of a Specimen Group.

It's not (cynically) about trying to attract in the angler(s) who "know" where the big fish already are (if they indeed exist), it's about working as a team to gain that knowledge.

A small group of us within Osprey Specimen Group have been doing this on the Lea for some years, keeping the knowledge contained within our Specimen Group.

Sounds an excellent idea to me and if trust is maintained, it'll work to everyone's benefit.

Apart from knowing whether they do indeed exist and if yes where are they, what is there to actually know?:confused:

I can see how these groups can benefit multi species and multi venue anglers but really a single species and on one river.

If one member is in the know regards a 7lb+ chub; how does telling anyone benefit him and if he's sketchy with the details, how are the other members helped?

Simon K

Reaction score
Apart from knowing whether they do indeed exist and if yes where are they, what is there to actually know?:confused:

I can see how these groups can benefit multi species and multi venue anglers but really a single species and on one river.

If one member is in the know regards a 7lb+ chub; how does telling anyone benefit him and if he's sketchy with the details, how are the other members helped?

Did you read my article on Specimen Groups? And the last few para's of my Big Chub - Observations piece? It's all in there.

Re. your last sentence, if there's one, there may be more. There may even be a bigger one in which case any information helps all. What's "he" going to do, target that one fish for the rest of his angling days counting the ounces up and down, hoping no-one sees where he's spending all of his time fishing?

That would be a sad way to conduct yourself.

We're not talking National Record here, after all.

You don't have to give out every little detail, just knowing that such monsters exist and the successful methods and conditions are enough to keep people enthused in their fishing.

cg74

Reaction score
Did you read my article on Specimen Groups? And the last few para's of my Big Chub - Observations piece? It's all in there.

Re. your last sentence, if there's one, there may be more. There may even be a bigger one in which case any information helps all. What's "he" going to do, target that one fish for the rest of his angling days counting the ounces up and down, hoping no-one sees where he's spending all of his time fishing?

That would be a sad way to conduct yourself.

We're not talking National Record here, after all.

You don't have to give out every little detail, just knowing that such monsters exist and the successful methods and conditions are enough to keep people enthused in their fishing.

I can't remember if I read your article on specimen groups, I did read your big chub observational article, I'll reacquaint myself with it this evening.

Well of course there's always potentially bigger ones out there.

Maybe it's just me but I like to find my own fish and work most things out for myself and I'm not saying anyone is wrong doing differently.
Ignoring my view point on sharing details. One thing I am sure of; increased angling pressure makes catching fish harder.
So if I haven't caught the biggest on any given stretch, I might 'know' there are bigger fish in there but it'll be harder to catch them. That IMO is counter productive!

Apart from knowing what fish are where, what else is there to know that as a chub angler you shouldn't already know; rigs and baits - yeah right!

Simon K

Reaction score
Maybe it's just me but I like to find my own fish and work most things out for myself and I'm not saying anyone is wrong doing differently.
Ignoring my view point on sharing details. One thing I am sure of; increased angling pressure makes catching fish harder.
So if I haven't caught the biggest on any given stretch, I might 'know' there are bigger fish in there but it'll be harder to catch them. That IMO is counter productive!

Apart from knowing what fish are where, what else is there to know that as a chub angler you shouldn't already know; rigs and baits - yeah right!

It doesn't necessarily make catching harder, it can have the opposite effect.
Pressure may only make itself felt once the fish are starting to be caught. There's a big difference between half a dozen people and 50 people fishing a mile of river regularly. You have to keep things in perspective.

More bait going in can wean the fish away from naturals and you can bring them to more accessible swims with judicious baiting.
All sorts of factors conspire to move fish around so more people co-ordinating their efforts can broaden the picture of what's where and when.
There's a bit more to consistently locating and catching Big Chub than finding one in a swim.
Again, keep it in perspective. We're talking about a small number of anglers here on a small river which I believe, is hardly pressured.

Fishing a long stretch of water on your own can be a needle in a haystack in terms of locating fish. It's been proved time and again that small groups of anglers (even just 2) working together can produce results beyond the sum of individual catches without help.
Watercraft.
No two (or more) anglers will agree exactly so each can benefit from the others insights.

You think "rigs and baits" are already written in stone? Do you seriously think you've got the perfect method?
What better than thinking you've used the best bait/method for the conditions in a known swim and blanked; to find out your mate caught on something else in an unfancied area because................
Well, he'll tell you and you can add a bit of knowledge to your system.

And do you think that those people with (what they may consider to be) an "Edge" don't still carry on refining and tinkering?

Still don't believe me?

There'll be something for you on Fishing Magic next week, to test your resolve. ;)

cg74

Reaction score
It doesn't necessarily make catching harder, it can have the opposite effect.
Pressure may only make itself felt once the fish are starting to be caught. There's a big difference between half a dozen people and 50 people fishing a mile of river regularly. You have to keep things in perspective.

More bait going in can wean the fish away from naturals and you can bring them to more accessible swims with judicious baiting.
All sorts of factors conspire to move fish around so more people co-ordinating their efforts can broaden the picture of what's where and when.
There's a bit more to consistently locating and catching Big Chub than finding one in a swim.
Again, keep it in perspective. We're talking about a small number of anglers here on a small river which I believe, is hardly pressured.

Fishing a long stretch of water on your own can be a needle in a haystack in terms of locating fish. It's been proved time and again that small groups of anglers (even just 2) working together can produce results beyond the sum of individual catches without help.
Watercraft.
No two (or more) anglers will agree exactly so each can benefit from the others insights.

You think "rigs and baits" are already written in stone? Do you seriously think you've got the perfect method?
What better than thinking you've used the best bait/method for the conditions in a known swim and blanked; to find out your mate caught on something else in an unfancied area because................
Well, he'll tell you and you can add a bit of knowledge to your system.

And do you think that those people with (what they may consider to be) an "Edge" don't still carry on refining and tinkering?

Still don't believe me?

There'll be something for you on Fishing Magic next week, to test your resolve. ;)

"There's a big difference between half a dozen people and 50 people fishing a mile of river regularly. You have to keep things in perspective."
In fairness constant pressure by half a dozen anglers can be more negative than greater numbers, especially if the stretch was previously not pressured.

"More bait going in can wean the fish away from naturals"
I honestly can't believe I've just read that, chub are about the easiest species I've ever encountered to switch on to anglers baits. Besides 'naturals' can be amongst the most productive, if used well.

"There's a bit more to consistently locating and catching Big Chub than finding one in a swim."
I am aware of that, finding just one swim on a stretch suggests to me others have been missed.

"Fishing a long stretch of water on your own can be a needle in a haystack in terms of locating fish."
Not really, chub have definite habitat preferences, it's a case of finding them and they're not always overt but go seek and you should find.

"You think "rigs and baits" are already written in stone? Do you seriously think you've got the perfect method?"
There is no such thing as a perfect bait or rig and thankfully there never will be. So go on surprise me what's new in chub angling (bait or rig).

I agree two heads are better than one but I will add; five, ten, twenty or more rods are not better than two.

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
The Waveney Chub Group (WCG) has been formed to focus on the specimen sized chub in the River Waveney, Suffolk. We are particularly interested in chub of 6lb and above. As far as it is known, the WCG is the only specimen group active on the Waveney.

[/URL]

Members of the CSG have been fishing the Waveney for decades and the Group has records going that far back.

Cant understand this

Before joining the forum please be aware that it is not acceptable to hide behind a user name. Your user name for the forum should be you full real name.
If this is not adhered to then your profile will be deleted.
I do not wish people to hide behind user names or an alias, because we are all here for the same reason, to learn from each other. At the end of the day we have nothing to hide

waveney_chubber. What's good for the Goose ....

Next week on FM? I already know about Bobs big chub, Simon?

Last edited:

Simon K

Reaction score
Members of the CSG have been fishing the Waveney for decades and the Group has records going that far back.

Cant understand this

Before joining the forum please be aware that it is not acceptable to hide behind a user name. Your user name for the forum should be you full real name.
If this is not adhered to then your profile will be deleted.
I do not wish people to hide behind user names or an alias, because we are all here for the same reason, to learn from each other. At the end of the day we have nothing to hide

waveney_chubber. What's good for the Goose ....

Next week on FM? I already know about Bobs big chub, Simon?

Not that one John. ;)

Colin, when you reference your opinion to Big chub, rather than just "chub" we can have a worthwhile debate. A common error.

rapidex

Reaction score
I think the only thing wrong with the Waveney Chub Group…..was perhaps posting its formation on this forum.

Perhaps some of the wording is poor, but why does it matter? What is wrong with a group of people sharing their thoughts and catches with one another, if you don’t fish the Waveney or a have an interest in Chub, don’t join it’s not compulsory?

It’s a shame a nice idea has been ridiculed, perhaps this is why young people are not getting actively involved in the sport!

cg74

Reaction score
Not that one John. ;)

Colin, when you reference your opinion to Big chub, rather than just "chub" we can have a worthwhile debate. A common error.

Well for an opinion on "big chub" you need to quantify what constitutes a big chub; big for a strech of river, big for a long length of river (4-5 miles+), big for a whole river, big by national standards....?

As all offer different criteria but I will state that a stretch/length of river that has a good spread of year classes is the easiest to read and understand (as best we every really know).

"What better than thinking you've used the best bait/method for the conditions in a known swim and blanked; to find out your mate caught on something else in an unfancied area because................
Well, he'll tell you and you can add a bit of knowledge to your system."
What would that scenario tell you?
Is there really a best bait/method, other than what's best on the day and what works for you.

Simon K

Reaction score
Well for an opinion on "big chub" you need to quantify what constitutes a big chub; big for a strech of river, big for a long length of river (4-5 miles+), big for a whole river, big by national standards....?

As all offer different criteria but I will state that a stretch/length of river that has a good spread of year classes is the easiest to read and understand (as best we every really know).

"What better than thinking you've used the best bait/method for the conditions in a known swim and blanked; to find out your mate caught on something else in an unfancied area because................
Well, he'll tell you and you can add a bit of knowledge to your system."
What would that scenario tell you?
Is there really a best bait/method, other than what's best on the day and what works for you.

The answers are already in my previous posts.
You know exactly where I'm coming from.

cg74

Reaction score
The answers are already in my previous posts.
You know exactly where I'm coming from.

Where in your prior posts have you defined what you deem a "big chub"?

Also Is there really a best bait/method?

I can honestly say, I don't have a clue where you're coming from???:confused:

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think the only thing wrong with the Waveney Chub Group…..was perhaps posting its formation on this forum.

Perhaps some of the wording is poor, but why does it matter? What is wrong with a group of people sharing their thoughts and catches with one another, if you don’t fish the Waveney or a have an interest in Chub, don’t join it’s not compulsory?

It’s a shame a nice idea has been ridiculed, perhaps this is why young people are not getting actively involved in the sport!

It is a great idea but like all things the more people involved the more chance of picking up what I call takers you get this in all groups some people just take and give very little back some give nothing useful at all it is a shame but it is true. I f you fancy cracking a river for whatever your better off with just two or three of you pooling your knowledge than sharing it with ten twenty or more in my experience anyway.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
at a guess simon is talking about fishing for record chub, something he as alot of experience in when they are very few of these very large fish on the Lea.

to be successful at it he and few others have developed there own approach and it obvoiusly works.

i doubt he would put his success down to luck and doing the norm

and at another guess the waverny chub group would like to replicate success that as happened with the lads on the Lea.

Jason