Those "rudd" and Carp Yukk!!

R

Ron Clay

I thought it was a damn poor show for Alec Watson to kill those two hybrids he claims as rudd. Still, examination of the pharyngeal teeth, if Mr Watson consents to having it done, will prove that those fish were not rudd.

What is most disconcerting is the intention of Mr Watson to actually kill a rare species such as rudd which are being rendered almost extinct by vermin carp!

C

Carp Angler

How can you on one hand disparage someone for killing a fish yet on the other hand call another fish a vermin.
Your post lacks credulity through your blinkered vision of what you believe to be just.

P

Paul Hawkins

On the positive side!
Doesn't this incident illustrate how far the sport has come though?
This is such a rare event, the deliberate slaying of two lovely fish. Incidentally, I hope they are Rudd, the only reason being that the concept that these fish are probably hybrids may (and this is my personal perception of media coverage)have slightly diluted the abhorent act.
Perception, an interesting concept.
Anyone ever used Rudd as livebait?
Trout fishing, taking fish for the table.
Must admit, I'm slightly nervous about perception!

R

Ron Clay

Yes I have used rudd as livebaits, many years ago. However true rudd are indeed very rare these days. Even in Ireland the rudd is getting scarce.
I think its time for us to be aware of the effects of non-native species can have on an eco-system. Roach may have been responsible for the demise of rudd in Ireland. In my opinion, carp are the enemy of rudd in England. Over in South Africa and Australia, carp have been wholly responsible for the demise of scores of magnificent native species. The Vaal River Large Mouth Yellowfish is one. I have great sympathy with the Australians who regards carp as vermin, because that's what they are!