R Thames

mike28

Reaction score
Good afternoon all,Im mike 28 & this is my 1st post,so (Hi, to one & all)I have lived in hillingdon & fished since I was 10 yrs old, I have Match & pleasure fished,The first thing I would like to ask all of you who fish our rivers,is have you noticed the decline in fish stocks/catching less,more blanks or poor catches compared to the past Like I have, If so what is your beliefe of the main cause,I have my susspicions but would like to listen to others and what you all have to say,await your responce,
Mike28

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have fished the Thames for fifty years from Richmond to Letchlade and seen it in its many moods but like all rivers you have to fish different areas at the right time of year and follow the moods of the river as well to get the best out of it . It takes many years to build knowledge of a river. Having good conections with other anglers and tackle outlets can be half the battle. These days I fish the lower reaches from Stains down and have no complaints. The area around Reading is producing some great roach sport I am told. Have you thought about a weir permit or hiring a boat and give that a try getting you into the less accessible areas this can pay dividends.

mike28

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Tiinker, Thats proberbly a lot of my problem,I dont have anyone to exchange my information with,For a start I will give Reading a go, next trip out,My favourite spot at Windsor has not fished for some time,It used to be great for roach/dace,all gone now! Thanks again I will take your thoughts onboard,
Regards Mike 28.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Hi Mike and welcome.

According to EA fishery officers, the Thames has never been in better condition, fish climbing up the bank to be caught. Hmmmm, fat chance. However it's not as bleak (pardon the pun) as perhaps you make out. As Tinker says you have to get to know the stretches and at what times they fish best.

Are you in a club? Take at look at our TVAA site (click on this). You can join one of the clubs listed, like Old Windsor AC say, on that site and fish any of the stretches listed there without further charge. Some are pretty good like Cliveden and I've had some decent little catches from Cookham. We did lose one big long stretch above Windsor, but hope to get it back eventually. Don't forget free stretches too, like Marlow off Gossmore lane and Odney island in Cookham or Ray Mill Island in Maidenhead, they can produce some good catches.

What has happened over the years is the Thames is the favourite haunt of the beloved cormorant and fish have become very wary of it's presence and you have to fish in the early morning or late evening, night or under cover such as fallen trees, anywhere the dreaded black death can't get.

Good luck, for any more info send me a PM, I'll try and help.