New warning over bass stocks

C

Chris Bishop

Bass Anglers Sportfishing Society (BASS) claims survey results show juvenile bass numbers are critically low.

Click here

Bob Paulley

Reaction score
I am not too sure about this.

My son tells me that the Solent area and Pompey Harbour, in particular, was chocka with skoolieslast year!

(and I wuz flat on me back!.damn!)

alan

Reaction score
Bob, be glad you were on your back, you missed the sight of trawlers netting the skoolies.

makes me sick. but still nothing like fishing behind spice island, pompey side of the harbour mouth, and hearing the satisfying thump of 6oz leads hitting the trawlers as they go by.

Steve Holman

Reaction score
What about the thump of a lead hitting a crewman in the head and killing him? Where do you stand on that, you retard?

alan

Reaction score
bollocks, law states they should be a set distance from shore, if they are in to close thats their problem.

again rules of the sea when entering the harbour they should be on the right hand side, not cut in to the left and narrowly miss the ferry.

they do it deliberately to get the anglers wet, and foul up lines, they have been warned about it by the old bill, i was there the night the cop boat caught the guy.

funniest thing i ever saw was the twat cut in so close he tangled fishing line round his prop, never seen a reel scream so much, and the thump of the lead hitting the prop was music to my ears.

with out knowing a thing about me, the area i am talking about, and the circumstances what right have you to call me a retard, twat?

alan

Reaction score
Bob, you cant use the amount of shoal bass as an indication of the health of the bass stocks.

at the moment the legal size for taking bass is between 4 and 6cm's below the size at which they breed. so while you might find 1000's of the babies, as soon as they are big enough the trawlers grab them, normally before they can spawn.

once the last few bigger fish are gone there will be no breeding stock.

S.A.C.N, B.A.S.S, and a few other tried to get the minimum landing size increased, DEFRA agreed, and at the last minute changed their minds.

Bob Paulley

Reaction score
I am as concerned as the next angler to see our Bass stocks flourish. I just think this year has, so far, been a bit sporadic for most species.

I am pretty sure that is due to the old old problem of "Wind in the East". This old salt's tale has been tested and some truth has been found in it.

The prevailing winds, for the past 6 weeks have been easterly, or south easterly. They will continue to be prevalently easterly for the foreseeable future.

This is the one major reason (apart from being knackered) for not bothering this year, so far.

I did take a wander down to Gilkicker, back in Feb. and the activity of predatory species was no less than spectacular. The shoals of fry were jumping left right and centre, only a couple of yards offshore! This was indicative of a lorra hungry Bass. (born out by one gentleman's bag on the spinner).

M

MarkTheSpark

I was down in Dorset last week with a friend of mine who runs a fishing catamaran. He was saying his experience of the bass season so far is that they are getting 40 to 80kg of bass a day rod and lining with sandeel just offshore. The fish are of a good stamp - 3lb plus and some well over 5lb.

That doesn't mean all is well; I remember a couple of years back a glut of little schoolies of about 1lb, and I suspect that is this strong year class coming through. All fish suffer bad and good spawning years, so it may be a bit early to start worrying.

I'd be interested to know what the ministry scientists are saying about the success of the bass nursery areas, and the current strong year classes; that will vary according to the place, of course.

Most of the skippers rod and line for their bass off Weymouth; it's efficient, cheap and, from our point of view, it's sustainable. Our concerns should be to see what's happening in the run-up to spawning, and to ensure that at this crucial time, the fish have the best chance of successfully creating plenty of fresh stock. And as an interim measure, having a closed season might be a good precautionary measure.

Leon Roskilly

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>alan wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

bollocks, law states they should be a set distance from shore, if they are in to close thats their problem.</blockquote>

er, No.

Some Sea Fishery Committees (SFCs) have byelawsthat protect certain areas, but generally trawlers can come in as close as they want (and shrimp boats and trawlers looking for sole often come in as close as they can without running aground).

Most SFCs have size limitson the size of boats that can operate within their district and out to 6 miles (only UK licensed vessels can fish within 6 miles, and only foreign boats with 'grandfather rights' can fish within12 miles).

In Kent& Essex for instance, trawlers over 17 metres are banned, whilst Southern Sea Fisheries Committee bans any boat (including angling boats) from fishingthat are over 12 metres.

SFC byelaws are generally available on their website, which you can find listed at:

http://www.asfc.org.uk/

Back to bass, and there's a new press release from BASS at:

http://www.sacn.org.uk/Conservation-and-Political-News/Eating_Babies.html

Bob Paulley

Reaction score
I'd not set too much store on the trawler licensing.

I have seen, many times over the years, a French Trawler (and filmed them) trawling along Browndown and Lee on the Solent Beaches.

They like to come in on moonless nights and make their runs (up to three) before buggering off.

When I reported them and told the authorities I had supporting film, they were basically NFI! Apparently the film would not be sufficient evidence to convict.

Steve Holman

Reaction score
I suspect that you identified them as French trawlers by the flag they were flying. Am I right?

With respect to you, I am pretty sure that they were UK boats flying the "T" flag which means "I am engaged in pair trawling. Please stand well clear" The "T" flag can be confused with the French tricolour, but it's three stripes run the other way. Hope I've explained this sufficiently.

In addition, French trawlers would hardly fly any identification if fishing illegally.

Bob Paulley

Reaction score
No. We used to see them, operating together off the Isle of Wight, when out with the club.

They are paintedmatt black........... I'll leave the reason for that to you to figure out.......... Actually the problem with the filming is technical. The sequences are using night vision enhancement, which does not show up livery detail. Silhouette is not sufficient evidence, even though they are very distinctive.

Steve Holman

Reaction score
OK then. Which way did the three "French" stripes of their flags run? Horizontally or vertically?

congerman

Reaction score
bass

Here in cornwall the bass breed in the western approaches. when they shoal up to spawn the midwater men have them. french, scotish and english boats all join in! if you want to save bass stop the the midwater men! and let the fish spawn. raise the size limit for inshore fishing will not stop the bass from being depleted these small school fish will grow on then join the larger breeding stock and move off shore to breed.
big boats, massive nets, big money, the bass have little or no chance.
not to mention the tons of mackerel and marine mammals these boat dump when after the bass.
i have worked in the fishing industry for 15 years.And have seen it with my own eyes.
sorry for the rant but big midwater boats p**s me off.They are greedy ba****ds,moving around the country ransacking fish stocks.
They destroyed the looe hand line mackerel fleets winter stock one year right in shore cleared the ground and buggered off put us all on the dole for christmas.