Astonishing!!

Keith Speer

Reaction score
Hi

Been a member for several years but have not re-visited for a good while.

I received an E-mail from Fishing Magic and had a nose around, I read the “What to look for in a centre pin reel” thread that was highlighted on the E-mail.

I was going to add some comments but I was surprised that it fell apart with name calling and general stupidity.

Why do you let this sort of thing go on?
And
Why highlight this thread as an advertisement for this forum?

The E-mail did its job and attracted me in, the thread the thread “What to look for in a centre pin reel” sent me packing, I am sure I am not the only angler that thought this!
To be fair if I want a bust up, I can do that almost anywhere!!!

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I posted the original thread in all innocence, it just goes to show that there are more out than there are in.

Can't blame you for being astonished though.

In fairness to the mods, they do it in their spare time for free, It shouldn't be too much to ask that people who use the site do so responsibly. The site suffered badly a couple of years ago from being over moderated by people with a dictatorial attitude and decent anglers left in droves.

Last edited:

thx1138

Reaction score
not so astonishing

Keith - unfortunately it follows the pattern of a lot of internet forums. I've acted as admin / moderator on a number of angling and non-angling fora, and I've seen others go the same way.

It is usually the calibre of the 'regulars' that sets the tone of the forum. It's like the local pub - if the regulars are cliquey or all bores, then newcomers wont feel welcome.

Most forums start off polite and amicable, members generally share information and experiences in a positive way. Everyone has opinions, and so there will always be arguments. But with arguments come grudges, and slowly the conversations descend into oneupmanship and flame wars. In an atmosphere where lack of respect goes unchallenged, then conversations often become negative and overly critical. You often end up with just a bunch of grumpy old men feeding off one another's negativity, and lots of bemused onlookers / lurkers. Sad really. I just worry that I fall into the same trap. :eek:

If you find a nicer pub, let me know :)

Keith Speer

Reaction score
Hi Chaps

I understand what you say and I have to say I too have seen many forums degenerate.

I just wanted to let the admin know that although their marketing was working, it was also as likely to put some off.

Hard enough to pull people in to a product, even harder to pull them back again!

I shall keep nosing around, might even make the odd post if I can think of anything interesting to say?:)

Bluenose

Reaction score
I think there are any number of threads that could put someone off posting Keith. The thing is, if I/we pull posts at the first hint of a disagreement then the accusation of heavy handed mod'ing gets used and the forum becomes what members would call 'sterile'.. leave it too late and then we aren't doing our 'job' properly. It's a fine balance.

B

binka

Stick around Keith.

I take your points and I only joined at the back end of October last year and have since made many new friends and enjoyed some good banter, there's far more good on here than the very odd exception when things aren't and disagreements are in the main dealt with by a pinch of salt and a touch of humour and all's well with everyone at the end of the day.

Tight lines mate.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
The site suffered badly a couple of years ago from being over moderated by people with a dictatorial attitude and decent anglers left in droves.

Not true Ray. The same mods have been doing the job for years with only Paul joining them in recent times. Beware of disinformation - accusations are not automatically true.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
What's not true? That good anglers left in droves? I seem to recollect that they did.

I wasn't having a pop at the current mods, in fact I believe Peter did the right thing in stopping the silly in fighting when he did.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
What's not true? That good anglers left in droves? I seem to recollect that they did.

I wasn't having a pop at the current mods, in fact I believe Peter did the right thing in stopping the silly in fighting when he did.

Oh not, they left alright. But it had nothing to do with over moderating. Our mods actually stepped back and under-moderated during that period in my opinion.

---------- Post added at 20:35 ---------- Previous post was at 20:34 ----------

And I believe it was Neil not PJ who stepped in.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Oh not, they left alright. But it had nothing to do with over moderating. Our mods actually stepped back and under-moderated during that period in my opinion.

---------- Post added at 20:35 ---------- Previous post was at 20:34 ----------

And I believe it was Neil not PJ who stepped in.

Wrong mate, it was PJ. But no matter as I think he was right to pull it, which is a bit sad and I can understand why the guy was put off.

Simon K

Reaction score
Hi

Been a member for several years but have not re-visited for a good while.

I received an E-mail from Fishing Magic and had a nose around, I read the “What to look for in a centre pin reel” thread that was highlighted on the E-mail.

I was going to add some comments but I was surprised that it fell apart with name calling and general stupidity.

Why do you let this sort of thing go on?
And
Why highlight this thread as an advertisement for this forum?

The E-mail did its job and attracted me in, the thread the thread “What to look for in a centre pin reel” sent me packing, I am sure I am not the only angler that thought this!
To be fair if I want a bust up, I can do that almost anywhere!!!

It seems to be true for most forums on most subjects, I'm sorry to say.

I have a lot more knowledge about reptile keeping than angling and could probably help quite a few people, but I can't even look at any of those forums any more for the flaming. It's too demoralising.

I think the advert must be generated by a programme, rather than the "human" touch?

Steve Pope

Reaction score
I'll add my piece.

What is just as bad if not worse in my opinion is an unsolicited email or post on a more radical forum that is abusive, uncalled for and downright sickening.

Always by people and they use their names, Jesus they even post on here, who are ill informed, carry a grudge or are downright pig ignorant.

You couldn't make it up.

But it has nothing whatsoever to do with fishing or any hobby for that matter its to do with people, people who have delusions of adequacy and can only get their kicks in what must be a terribly sad life by slating others.

Fortunately for every idiot there are a hundred decent people and that is what counts.

End of rant but an opportunity arose to say my piece.

Simon K

Reaction score
Steve,

Just an observation, but the very nature of that site means you're always going to get a hard time from it's posters. Rightly or wrongly is not for the likes of me to judge.

I think the clue is in the sites title?

By perpetuating it here, you'll perpetuate it there.

No point in inviting more potential torture on yourself, however strongly you feel about it?

Just a thought.

Steve Pope

Reaction score
Hi Simon,

You are absolutely right.

There has been a spate of it lately and I wanted to get it off my chest, I just find the antics of a few, and they really are just a few, beyond belief at times.

I'm cool now, well actually I'm not, it's a bit too hot here for that, but you know what I mean.

All the best.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes, I was one of those ''involved'' in said thread, but my comments where only meant in jest it just got out of hand a little and I have apologised to Ray (the thread starter)

The Sad thing is that because of this, one of the posters has downloaded a video to You-tube with a derogatory comment at the end using my name and calling me (and someone else) a troll. You will not be surprised when I say that I am furious! This sort of behaviour is Childish and idiotic and because it involves using names it flaunts the Data Protection act. I have handed the matter over to Google to sort out, though I am not holding my breath!

Last edited:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
To be honest look at gofishing the place died on its feet , because of all the bickering , if your not careful you will get all l your lovely forum points scored about otters and the Trust , but then when you actually want to talk about fishing ( thats the spring and summer for me ) there will be no one left around.

So it might be fun to tell people to eff off away from the forum , or that they are a PETA agent , or that fishing would be better off without them but bear in mind you will be the ones moaning that no one visits the site anymore.

chav professor

Reaction score
You can discuss politics without being rude , oh sorry you can't can you.

Benny, neither can you bud....... but thats the limitations of a forum based discussion.

A rather inflammatory response.... very similar to the type of comments that illicit frustration. You started it:D:p