The Idiot?s Guide to Flyfishing

DAVID TURVEY

Reaction score
Ithink the prices for fishing quoted as an example are very out of date .
in hampshire the avarage is ?40 for 4 fish

Brian Whyte

Reaction score
I would agree with you David that prices in Hampshire as as you quote, however the further North you travel the more the prices are in line with those in the article.

I would certainly estimate for that Reservoirs, etc. in the (East) Midlands where I live prices of £15-£20 for a 6-fish ticket are the norm.

Move into Scotland and £15 will buy you a season ticket on many rivers and lochs where wild brown trout abound.

Rivers are the same. In Hampshire you pay the earth for a day on most rivers, in Yorkshire there are many clubs with excellent waters for £20 or less per annum.

Tight lines

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The prices were pretty accurate at the time that this article was published: September 2000.

These days try to get a day beat on the upper Wylyie in Wiltshire for under ?100, or a day on somewhere like Avon Springs for under ?45

I think that most beats on the Itchen are now around ?125 a day as well, and as for the Test, well, take out a mortgage before you arrive - ops, silly me, I forgot that mortgages seem to be a thing of the past now.