C&R or C&Kill now in Swiss ?

Michal Felcyn

Reaction score
Lets hava a look at this: C&Kill ?

What is that all about? Three years discussion? Arguments? What you guys in the UK and others reading FM think of this?

Reaction score
I believe the Swiss Government are subtely aiming to reduce angling as a sport on the basis that many anglers will not want to catch and kill.

Otherwise, what a load of nonsense. Perhaps someone else can shed some more light on the subject.

Nathan

Reaction score
I don't get it. If you catch a fish you can't 'intentionally' release it so in other words you have to kill whatever you catch.

If that's the case then why ban treble hooks if you're just gonna kill the kill anyway? What extra harm could they cause?!

The Monk

Reaction score
Ifind it actually obscene, dont the Germans have similar legislation in place, how can a law demand that you kill something????, its not the fish that want killing

M

MarkTheSpark

On the subject of Catch and Release, I came across this scientific study HERE

Quite interesting, especially the bit on the harm caused by landing nets and J-shaped hooks (as opposed to circle hooks)

Reaction score
It's utter madness, I agree.

Don't take this as gospel as my memory is rubbish, but I seem to remember that...

In the German case it was the best that anglers could acheive against a powerful 'Green ' (my arse!!) lobby's call for an all out ban on fishing...

Interested angling parties invoked some medieval precedent where every citizen is allowed to harvest rivers and lakes for food in order to avoid a blanket ban. Hence the daft situation where, in law, you must now kill what you catch.

Sounds mad but at least they can still fish, and I bet the majority of serious anglers have deliberately 'faulty' keepnets.

Disclaimer: I have some very weird and involved dreams so this may be, in part or wholly, anecdotal.

Reaction score
Good point your lordship. I guess it would go something like this:

[translated into English for ease of understanding]

Swiss Army Bailiff: "Hey, you're knicked son"

Swiss Angler: "What for?"

SAB: "You just caught and returned a fish"

SA: "No I didn't"

SAB: "Yes you did"

SA: "Prove it"

SAB: "Er...er.....er...I'LL BE WATCHING YOU, you.....you....returner of fish"

Tommo!

Reaction score
What the hell is the world coming to.

I live in Germany and the Green Party comment is the reason I have heard for this 'law'.

I am having a right old 'mare over here with my tenching. Imagine my dissmay at arriving at my chosen venue to be greeted by someone 'cleaning' a Tench of around three pounds.

All I can say is never vote Green.

However on the subject of policing, the few fish I have caught and released didn't invite blue lights and sirens. In fact there are two local boys bivvied up at the moment with unhooking mats. The message is seeping through with the younger generation.

The bad one

Reaction score
Mark regarding the first "study" none of the references come from peer reviewed Scientific papers, they are drawn from mainly internet bollox and online angling mags. With the greatest respect they are only opinions, which don't appear to have been replicated many times over to give them even the air validation.

The second one suffers the same fate without any references whatsoever. Its very much poor science when decisions are take on such guff.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

This is the undoubted angle that anti's will attack us in the future and makes it imperative that we do not play into their hands by demanding restrictions on our right to kill fish.If the sole justiciation we have for angling is pleasure we are very exposed to an assault on this flank.

The Monk

Reaction score
what if we blank, do we kill the maggots/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>The Monk, wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>what if we blank, do we kill the maggots/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif</blockquote>

No silly.

You will get prosecuted for fishing but not killing any fish.

Maggie

Reaction score
Maybe its because the Anti's are having problems with getting angling banned (because we practice catch and Return), so perhaps the fishing-antis both in the green party and elsewhere have decided tochange the sport into a Fish Killing pastime;(so thatitwould beless palatable in the publicseye) and then they could thenget it banned altogether???

Whatever the reason I certainly won't be voting 'green' if this is the sort of thing they come out with. their logic seems to defy anyreason.

The Monk

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Matt Corker wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote><blockquote class=quoteheader>The Monk, wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>what if we blank, do we kill the maggots/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif</blockquote>

No silly.

You will get prosecuted for fishing but not killing any fish.</blockquote>
DOH OK/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

The Monk

Reaction score
I suppose these carp puddles will have to have some pretty sharp stocking policies/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif