Man's inhumanity to man ..or all that's bad on a forum!

bony tony

Reaction score
As a newbie have thoroughly enjoyed trawling through posts and learning quite a lot. However have been astounded by some of the nastiness and bitterness of a few of the posts. An incredible example of this was the thread entitled " That 400 lb catch from the Trent". Wow, talk about vitriol flying here, there and everywhere.

It went on for over 50 pages and my first thought was to wonder why the
Moderator Graham didn't close the thread. However after a bit of thought I came to the conclusion that he had played a blinder by giving some of the people enough rope to hang themselves. Think the tone of some of the posters changed towards the end of the thread when they realised what was happening with a couple of them wanting the thread withdrawn. However I suppose it's there for all to see for the duration and perhaps a warning against going OTT

sam vimes

Reaction score
I presume that you mean this thread?

I'd suggest that it was around the height of what is now called "The Barbel Wars". Best to be aware but keep well out of it. However, it does go a long way to explaining why some folks still harbour grudges against each other. It also hints at why agreeing with the wrong person can lead one side to believe you might be one of "them".

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Tone, that thread was from, when, 2006?

It was a long, long time a go in a galaxy that time forgot, geeze, it even had a very 'flattering' picture of my good friend Graham Marsden in his avatar . . . . . . . .

bony tony

Reaction score
Thanks Sam and Peter for reply. Just seen long threads and arguments
about Ron Clay.

Think I'm better off without all this hassle which doesn't seem that
connected with the wonderful sport of angling.
As soon as this weather gets better I'm off fishing which is what its all about.

Best of luck to the moderators ...seems like a horrendous job.

bigfish74

Reaction score
about Ron Clay.

As soon as this weather gets better I'm off fishing which is what its all about.

I mod our shooting forum and its a nice place no hassle but i do agree some mods do get loads of grief a d you cant keep everyone happy

Andu

longshaw

Reaction score
about Ron Clay.

It was lovely meeting you.
Just be careful the door doesn't hit you on the back on your way out. :eek:mg:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
You can choose what you wish to join in with.

It looks to me that you are looking for the worst aspects of the site and then complaining when you have found them.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Was it really 6 years ago, doesn't time fly when you're enjoying yourself.

And still today there are those who harp back to "Barbel Wars", when in fact it was nothing of the sort!!

Prompt for the searchers to go looking!!:rolleyes:

chav professor

Reaction score
Man's inhumanity to man..... It's not exactly like the Cannibal warlords of Liberia on here is it?

Typically the ones who bleat the most about this and that are the worst protagonists IMO and even attract similar hassle on other sites..... Involvement is what you make of it. Plenty of constructive stuff on FM..... the politics is optional.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Man's inhumanity to man..... It's not exactly like the Cannibal warlords of Liberia on here is it?

Typically the ones who bleat the most about this and that are the worst protagonists IMO and even attract similar hassle on other sites..... Involvement is what you make of it. Plenty of constructive stuff on FM..... the politics is optional.

Now you see this is why fora are the worst kind of media for this kind of conversation I read that post and immediately jump to the conclusion that I am included in your " the ones" am I ?

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Now you see this is why fora are the worst kind of media for this kind of conversation I read that post and immediately jump to the conclusion that I am included in your " the ones" am I ?

Come on Benny, "there can be only one"

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq4SqgxIKM0]Highlander Movie Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

:D:D

chav professor

Reaction score

Benny, your a good lad..... I am more than happy to leave our 'do fish feel pain' opinions on that thread.

I'll let you into a little secret shall I.... I rarely if ever fall out with people - enjoy a bit of banter, wind-ups, humor with mates as well as the supportive stuff.... For all the emoticons - humans are **** at internet discussions.

Purely supportive elements? plenty on FM - I know you have benefited and contributed.... Sadly, some people get wrapped up in the importance of forums and other digital media and overstep the mark. You ain't one of of them:)

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Benny, your a good lad..... I am more than happy to leave our 'do fish feel pain' opinions on that thread.

I'll let you into a little secret shall I.... I rarely if ever fall out with people - enjoy a bit of banter, wind-ups, humor with mates as well as the supportive stuff.... For all the emoticons - humans are **** at internet discussions.

Purely supportive elements? plenty on FM - I know you have benefited and contributed.... Sadly, some people get wrapped up in the importance of forums and other digital media and overstep the mark. You ain't one of of them:)

completely agree Chav and a great post :)

Its difficult to not get incensed when there is somebody "wrong" on the internet some people can do it , some can't , I am hopeless at it , but on the other forum - "real life" I am sure they are decent chaps.

---------- Post added at 13:23 ---------- Previous post was at 13:21 ----------

Come on Benny, "there can be only one"

:D:D

I am the kwisatz haderach !