Fred J Taylor - Times obituary 20/05/08

keora

Reaction score
There was a good obituary of Fred J Taylor in yesterday's Times. To read it go to timesonline.co.uk and put Fred J Taylor in the search box.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Excellent; at least it didn't perpetuate the recent myth that Fred invented the lift method unlike AT. Fred used it and popularised it but it was an old River Lea roach method dating back to the 19th century, and probably much older than that. Even Fred said as much.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I once saw an article in an anglingnewspaper detailing how the lift method is supposed to work. The writer, a well known matchman, got it all wrong. He specified a waggler float with a bottom ring and locking with two shots.

The correct lift method works by using peacock quill fastened to the line by rubber tube. A large single shot is placed near the hook. Theshot is big enough to sink the quill and the float is fished well overdepth.

The tackle is cast out and the rod is put into two rests. The line is wound tight which cocks the float. You need to wind it so that say 1/2 an inch of quill is showing.

Bites cause the bait to be dislodged or lifted which in turn lifts the float.

A very successful method for tench and big roach. Old Tag Barnes showed it to me before it became published. Tag was a close friend of Fred J for many years.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

One of the ways of setting up the lift method is to lop bits of the quill with scissors off until the whole set up balances nicely.

blankety blank

Reaction score
Good to see "Successful Angling" get a mention. This was my first proper angling book, and still has pride of place on my bookshelf.

F

Fred Bonney

Another great tribute to Fred J.

We had a short one at The Barbel Show from Len Arbury, he gave us tales of Fred's bankside cooking skills.

Peter Wheat is doing one for me for Barbel Fisher.

I was speaking to somebody the other day, heclaimed (and had it confirmed by another) that the lift method had the float flat on the surface, and when it lifted off the surface that wasa bite!!!/forum/smilies/sarcastic_smiley.gif

I always use the method Ron describes, and I think Graham did a while back, on here or in CF.