CA Steps in on Concessionary Rod Licenses

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
It is nice to se the CA becoming more involved in angling topics.

We cannot have too much support to help put forward our case, and in this particular instance I was amazed that there has been so little public outrage at these increases.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Just finished listening to PM's Question Time where GB was asked if he had investigated the massive recent increases in concessionary licenses (as previously asked last week) to which his reply was:

"I told the Rt Hon Member that I would look into this, and I will"

So, I guess that's a "no" then?

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

As a beneficiary of the concessionary rod licence I really cant understand the apparent outrage at the increase. It is a bigger increase than other category's but is it such a heavy burden to bear? I know some who now qualify for the concession who fish almost every day, thats $loody good value in my eye's

Before I get slated, I had to give up work five years ago because of mobility problems and have 'survived' onState benefits ever since, the pension I was encouraged to take out under Thatcher isn't worth the paper it's written on and my wife has never worked, so I could hardly be described as being well off.

Most anglers will probably waste the concessionary increase, at the very least,every month in unused bait...and it's probablyabout 25% of the total cost of a days fishing on a commercial.

Personally I'll do without support from the C.A.

Where's my tin hat /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"Personally I'll do without support from the C.A."

Something tells me that it would have been a very different story if those initials had been different?

Michael Heylin

Reaction score
It's funny isn't it? I don't see the CA sitting at RFERAC meetings getting involved in everyday fisheries issues with the EA but they are quick enough to climb on board an argument after the event.

The increases were fully discussed at RFERACs last year and fisheries interests agreed the increases. With an aging population who else is to pay but those who fish and the cost of concessionary licences is likely to increase further as the demographics of the population of anglers continues to change.

Given that government hardy supports EA fisheries work it is only anglers who cansupport them at the moment, so we will all pay more in the future. CA is just trying to be popularist about and make a campaign out of it.

Many of those sitting on RFERACs whovoted for change are over the age of retirement, so are amongst the most affected.

J

The C.A. ?????Cant possibly think what you are suggesting, Peter. I really didn't expect a reply so soon/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Whatever the initials my sentiments would be the same.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Mike,

I knew that you and I would see this very differently.

From my point of view I think that we anglers need all the ehlp we can get, and from wherever we can get it.

I do not believe that increase of 35-37% in one year can possibly be in the overall interests of anglers who use, and some might say need, the concessionary license.

"Given that government hardy supports EA fisheries work "

If hardy was 'hardly' then we at least agree on that point.
How successive governments can continue to reduce D.E.F.R.A's budget with disproportionate decreases in the EA's budget is beyond me!

If you received the monthly newsletters from CA Mike then you would know that this was hardly a campaign move.

In the current environment of angling politics I am surprised that any individual, or organisation representative, can take such an isolationist stance - as I said before, we anglers need all the help we can get.

J

We all needehlp with our spilling at times Peter, don't we /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

And the CA (BFSS)) are too late in their campaign, as were the NFA.

As Mike said, you don't see them on any of the RFERACs /area Fisheries Forum meetings etc. If they were really interested in the plight of the old/disabled they would have known before the increase was agreed

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

And Brown said he would look into it!

I don't believe the lying B*****d!!!

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Thats funny Ron ---

He said the same thing about you, when I spoke to him last week ............

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I don't think he knows me Ed.

I don't think he would want to. I would certainly love to kneecap the b*****d or put the crosshairs on his stinking forhead!

And thank goodness the people of Crewe and Nantwich told Brown exactly what they thought about him.

Mind you, let's face it, Brown is the best thing that has ever happened to the Tory Party. The longer Brown hangs onto power the bigger will be the Tory majority at the next general election

/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

J

Don't go round the houses Ron, just come out with it straight /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Wheres' the usual Yorkshire bluntness?

The Monk

Reaction score
The CA backing anglers, heres a novelty, how about anglers backing anglers?/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

You want it straight.

Graham will probably censor me but here goes.

Gordon Brown is the worst thing to happen to the average middle class and working class English citizensince Adolf Hitler. He is an unelected arrogant pig of a man who's only concern is his own ego. How he came to be prime minister beats me. His parlimentary seat is in Scotland yet he presides at England's House of Assembly not the Scottish! He became Prime Minister on the ticket of Tony Blair without being elected by the people.

I don't want to go into all the cock-ups he has made personally or has presided over, as they are well known and have been reported in detail in the public domain.

But the people of London, and yesterday the people of Crewe and Nantwich, have sent outa simplemessage to Brown:

GO! GET LOST! WE DON'T WANT YOU - EVER!!!!

But he doesn't get it does he?

Even if his own back benchers have to drag the near-do-well screaming from the front bench he will still hang on.

But the day is coming fast when we will eventually rid this country ofone of the worst tyrants and most hated prime ministers in its history- Gordon Brown!

The Monk

Reaction score
why don`t you stop beating about the bush Ron and say what you really mean?/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Michael Heylin

Reaction score
Hi Peter

No, I am afraid we will never agree about the place, or not, of CA in angling.

I don't ever see the CA working with the rest of us on water pollution, water resources, alien species, Marine Bill, Aquatic Animal Health Directive, KHV, river fly life, Animal Welfare Act, fish transport regulations, Common Fisheries Policy, cod recovery programme, bass minimum landing size, fisheries accreditation or the 1001 other issues which national angling bodies deal with every day of the week, every week of the year.

The existing bodies do all that and more and as a consequence, IMO, are best placed to serve angling and anglers.

CA comes to the table after the event and tries to score political points off the government using the opposition to do so. The national bodies are non party political and will seek to work with whatever government the people elect to represent the interests of anglers. Little is acheived by scoring points, we achieve through engagement and debate.

PS

I was a member of CA for some time, until a certain bearded angler, also empoyed by ACA, spoke in public about the issue of livebaiting and no one was any longer certain as to whohe really represented. The answer I got from CA when I approached them about his appointment was unhelpful in the extreme and led to my leaving.

BTW, It should have been hardly, so we agree on something.

Mike

Joey

Reaction score
I know I am being naive but don't we have an MP who is supposed to represent the interests of anglers, I think his name may be Salter, the Hon. member for Reading. Probably another bloody Brown yes man! I wonder if Frank Field would be interested in the job?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"No, I am afraid we will never agree about the place, or not, of CA in angling."

Mike,

With an existing Angling section and their 107k plus overall membership they already have a place, but I think it best for you and I to agree to disagree on this topic.

Personally I believe that there is more than enough room for more than one organisation to help fight the various issues faced by active anglers up and down the Country.

Regardless of the outcome of the Unification process I wil continue with my CA membership because they cover and account for so much more than Angling, inlcuding a lot of Rural issues that are important to me.
(Plus I get a really good 3rd. Party Insurance already as a CA member.)

Joey,

PM's question time last week was interesting as Mr. Salter actually asked the follow-up question which had nothing to do with angling.

Regular listeners to PMQT will know that the Speaker calls on MP's for questions, many of which are simply lead-ins to allow the PM to blow the government's trumpet.

I am surprised though that Mr. Salter allowed a Conservative to pose the EA License question.

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>How he came to be prime minister beats me. His parlimentary seat is in Scotland yet he presides at England's House of Assembly not the Scottish!</blockquote>

Ron

We need the Scotts to keep up the good work looking after England's oil industry.