Activity Table - A New Gizmo for FM

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I've got a nice new gizmo available to me that shows me what each member's activity is on the site. It's a beta at the moment but very close to being a finished piece of software.

It's in the form of a table and takes into account the articles, reviews, photos, classified ads, bookmarksand forum posts, each weighted according to what I think is important to the site.

It can be switched between activity over the last 30 days and all time activity.

For instance I'd give more points to an article than anything else, and more for a review than a classified (but only just), more for a photo in the gallery than a forum post, etc.

There are points for having and avatar and, most of you will be pleased to hear, more points for those who have filled in their profile than for those who haven't.

It's a useful tool for me as it tells me, at a glance, when someone last logged on and how they're using the site, which overall is useful in knowing how to steer the site to please more members.

What it isn't is a league table, or a score sheet.

Which is why I've been reluctant to ask the following questions:

Would you like to see this table available to all members, rather than just to me?

Do you think it'll be a good thing or something that will encourage unwanted competition?

Your thoughts are, as always, welcome. So let me know what you think and if the majority want to see the table I'll make it available, even if it's only for a trial period.

F

Frothey

could be useful....

As an aside, I'd like a symbol to show who's online.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
The trekkies will take note of that Dave.

captain carrott

Reaction score
it will only end in tears and some one posting arse 300 times in order to get their rating up,

or more likely roughslapper and nikon D300./forum/smilies/disappointed_smiley.gif

Reaction score
There'll be threads dedicated to discussions about the table.......

Keep it to yourself Graham as a useful tool.

You do the analysis and we'll talk about fishing and lots of other rubbish.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Bung it on and then see who starts whinging for it to be removed and judge it from that.

Who's online is good and last loggin and all that, most sites have that.

And while were at it i would like FM Sweatshirt, small logo, my name on it so i dont forget who i am, in black, hoody with FM in gold.

captain carrott

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt (SAA) (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Bung it on and then see who starts whinging for it to be removed and judge it from that.</blockquote>

we don't need it to be bunged on to know the answer to that question.

[insert smiley thing here]

F

Fred Bonney

I'm happy , swap it for Bait Box /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Graham, will there be an opt for those members who do not want this data shown as currently with the post numbers?

I am not keen on showing my number of posts simply on the basis thatI think some new posters may get intimidated when they see how many posts a member has made and not join in a discussion on the basis that they may feel, wrongly of course, thatthere input is not valuable.This tool has the potential for increasing that possibilty.

F

Frothey

Ireckon you're feeling inadequate about the size of your postings Nigel/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

W

I have a GreenFM cap/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

Is it on yet????????

Is it on yet????????

Is it on yet????????

Is it on yet????????

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Graham,

Will points be deducted if one's avatar is green and jumps up and down interminably?

I can't see what added value it would bring to the majority of ordinary users, and any weighted points system could only be, at best, highly subjective.

Personally, I'd not be all that interested.

[not let you down then Jason]

insert bigger smiling thing - - - - > [HERE]

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Quality over quantity Frothey!/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Nigel(ACA ,SAA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Graham, will there be an opt for those members who do not want this data shown as currently with the post numbers?</blockquote>

If a member has chosen to make their stats invisible in the forum, the stats will not be shown by their name in the activity table.

Keep the feedback coming and then I'll decide whether or not to show it, as I said, at least for a trial period.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Don't forget, if it works out that those with negative comments turn out to be right, all I have to do is switch it off. Simple.

W

Bung it on and then see who starts whinging for it to be removed and judge it from that.

Windy

Reaction score
If you must have such datamining tools keep 'em to yourself 100% definite.

Otherwise it will increase paranoia and engender endless competitive threads with nothing at all to do with fishing issues.... the odd competitive thread about post numbers is tolerable and can even (in moderation) be amusing, but the idea of putting a tool like this into the hands of the [/comedy voice on]'look at me, I'm shy' [/comedy voice off] element of this or any forum is frankly madness.... IMHO that is.

and of course, you will let me know my personal weighted user usefulness score by pm, as promised*..... /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

* Yet another big fat Welsh lie. But then you all knew that anyway.

hat

coat

door.....