In Control??

A

Austin Buchan

It seems that the EA have now come up with a sweeping statement that all anglers should be in complete control of their equipment at all times.
I personally don't have a problem with this but it seems to have caused quite a stir in one of the largest angling clubs in the uk, in that they have now put a complete ban on sleeping whilst fishing on their waters.
It would also seem that this club is also ran by matchmen and the specimen fraternity have no say whatsoever in the matter.
Is this now the way most waters will go? and does this mean that a day ticket means exactly that with a total ban on 24hr plus sessions?

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Hi Austin it seems someone’s making a stand regarding anglers taking control of their tackle and that isn’t such a bad thing. I think we should be by our rods at all times and if not reel them in. I know some guys go off wandering for half a mile in order to chat to friends around the other side of the lakes etc and this is probably retaliation to that. But they will never ban night fishing, although regulations may drift towards "if you're going to sleep, then reel the rods in". I think this will be over the top and maybe some clubs are setting an example if anglers are leaving rods un attended.

A

Austin Buchan

Hi Stuart,
I agree with the theory, but as we know it never would work in practice, How many anglers would bring their rods in whilst sleeping knowing full well that the bailiff wont be round till 8am, and this is giving them extra fishing time whether they be awake or not? but the chance of that P.B. when the alarm screams. Personally I think that bodies like the EA should think long and hard over issues before making these kind of announcements, and this is one of the points I was trying to make, also I'm not a member of the club involved but I know people who are, and there was no meeting or consultation before the alleged ban.

M

Malcolm Bason

"Personally I think that bodies like the EA should think long and hard over issues before making these kind of announcements,"

Dead right they should Austin!

Many, many commercial fisheries get the majority of their income from long-stay anglers, who in the main, already pay over-the-odds prices. How much is a 24hour ticket at one lake i go its ?20 for two rods. If anglers cannot fish for those 24hrs they won't go as simple as that! Their income would then be slashed dramatically.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Excellent point Malcolm and I couldn’t agree with you more. I occasionally fish (as a rare treat) at Hawkhurst fishery in Kent. That’s ?25 per 24 hours for two rods. For me there’s not a better feeling than nodding off at night in the bivvy to be awoken by beep, beep beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
We all need our sleep under the stars, its the being 500 yards away from your rods I dont agree with.
There's nothing worse than quitely and continuely bating your swim in the margins awaitng that run, when some goon is running a hundred miles an hour past you tring to get back to his swim when he's got a run.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Prince Albert AS have now rescinded the no sleeping rule providing the bivvie door is left open and the sleeping bag is not zipped up.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
80 rods? that is ridiculous. Would you agree Murray that the majority of those were probably down to unattended rods? I’d imagine some were also down to screaming runs in the night and the lack of pinning the pod down perhaps?

Carelessness! can anyone think of any other reason for loosing that ammount of rods?

A

Austin Buchan

It's probably down to these idiots as to why the EA and Clubs make the majority suffer for the minority.
I try to to teach Lee the rights and wrongs as I see them, sometimes I wonder if it's worth it at all.
We've only done 2 night sessions in 18months and we never left our rods unattended but we were witness to it or more than one occassion. Maybe it's up to the ones who are concious to try to educate those that arn't(probably at the risk of a black eye though)! :{
Out of Interest would any-one on the site actually own up to leaving their rods in the water whilst being 300+ yards away and try to justify it??

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I don’t think you could name and shame on this thread Austin, but the very nature of this thread will subliminally put forward the right message and that’s got to be a good thing!

How’s Lee getting on now and how are you getting on with those end rigs we went through on the phone?

A

Alistair Campbell

Stuart,

They probably forgot to turn the buzzers on.

A

Austin Buchan

Lee still driving me crazy..I think thats kids though...and he's constantly pecking my head about the carp school(mainly what bait he should take for horseshoe)
It's my last night tonight so I'll be doing a few more rigs this week..
Well naffed the other day though got home and the dog had eaten all me boilies!!...including half the actual packet.
Lets hope the thread starts to get the message over to those concerned, but I will question as to whether any of those concerned actually bother to read the forums!.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Triga seems to be well recieved at the moment. Even on new waters with a lack of intorduction.

D

David Will

This has been going on for years.At Harefield some years ago at 6pm you could walk the entire causeway bank and see not one angler.Lots of rods and bivvies and some rods were still fishing.
I know from speaking to him that Roy at Shimano Linear is staggered by the numbers of people who look at him with blank eyes when he explains that being on the opposite bank is not being in control of the rods.I wish there were more like him on club waters and ticket ones.
Then there is the Famous Herons Point swim at Farlows by the bar with a remote by your pint.

M

Malcolm Bason

"Just read in Angling Times that over 80 rods have been recovered from the bottom of Drayton Reservoir."

For anyone interested (though its irrelevant to the point of this thread), night fishing is NOT allowed at Drayton Ressy! The rods lost there are down to anglers being inexperienced and not watch and/or not using appropriate tackle to do the job!

Drayton was stocked with literally thousands of carp a number of years back for the matchmen. As soon as the carp grew to a decent size, some quite violent takes were experienced - and still are.

It is a venue that is still used very regularly for matches, and some go along there just not equipped to do the job!

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
David, by your posting re:'Then there is the Famous Herons Point swim at Farlows by the bar with a remote by your pint.' you can see why we get tarred with such a wonderful brush can't you!

Thats shocking!

M

Mike Fidler

No, It's all down to the situation. Believe me, if I was fishing on my own on one of my local lakes I would never be more than 10 yards away from kit at all times. Ask Rik about locking up his bowels and digestive system for the duration of the session. Anglers will only leave there equipment if they feel the situation is safe to do so, at least that's my experience. Under the watchfull eye of a mate we have all wandered away from our kit at sometime or other.
As for Drayton, 80% of the anglers that fish it are matchmen, and the one's that lose there kit (it's one rod only) are first timers to the venue. They have probally set up a method rod with a standard feeder reel and sat sideways on watching the quiver tip. Imagine there suprise when in the blink of an eyelid there rod does a bunk. Me and Coops fished it a month ago for a laugh and we had some right old screaming fizzers from single figure fish that put up an excellant scrap for there size.

M

Malcolm Bason

Aw Mike, ya coulda popped in for a cuppa! I only live about 400mtrs from there now (as the crow flies)!