Scottie rods

Colin Brett

Reaction score
My old friend John Weaver has decided to call it a day and retire. His business is up for sale along with the "SCOTTIE" logo and trademark.
Details on Scottie Rods

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There is a certain, very fine, clear anodised, double-ring uplocking aluminium fly-rod reelfitting that I bought from John (the only time we met, though I have probably tied 10,000 flies, and continue to tie more, on a Scottie vice of his I bought elsewhere) in Eastcote in the early-mid 1990s that I put on a sea-trout rod I was then building for fishing in Argentina and Chile.

The rod, built a British blank, couldn't throw the lines that I needed it to into wind and God knows what, couldn't handle the big, brawling fish that it hooked either, so it very quickly bowed out and bust a few inches below the tip guide.

I gave it to a mate of mine in the Argentine Far South, one of the best flyfishers in the country (make that South America), saying "One for M?" (his early teenage son, mad keen and fast going the way of his Dad) "Until you can get him something better....?"

Nice video "in" here last year, sent to me by my S.A. pal, featuring him and his now grown-up son steelheading in Western Chile, with some double-figure fish figuring.

Guess what?

The blank had changed (looked to be a Sage), but that Weaver reelfitting I had left over there in 1997 hadn't.

Last edited: