How do I . . . .

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a couple of pictures that I'd like to put into "My Gallery" but they are between 260kb and 370kb.

Is there a way that I can reduce them as the gallery message tells me that they have to be less than 250kb?

As you can tell from the above I know less than my 11 year old stepdaughter when it comes to digital photography.

Help?

The Monk

Reaction score
Dunno
36_1_24.gif

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Nick,

I think I have worked it out (using my usual trial and error technique) I opened the piccies in MS Paint and physically made the image smaller.

Checked Properties and as if my Magic (or is that FishingMagic?) the size had reduced to below the 250kb limit.

Now, I actually have one picture in My Gallery, or will have when it gets 'Approved'

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Now let's stop mucking about chaps.

Select Photoshop Elements 5 or 6, or use CS3 if you are flush. If you haven't got at least Elements, then go and get it, it's as cheap as chips at only £45.00 or so.

Open your image and then go to Image - Resize - Image size.

Cut down the size of your image to say 1024 pixels width. The height will calculate itself. You can play about here.

Then "save as" - the programme will take you through the sequence, and there it is, your picture resized.

It doesn't stay like this of course when it is transmitted to another email address. By a clever algorithem, the image re-constitutes itself at the other side.

Clever people those at Joint Photographic Experts Group

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Oh and by the way mate, Elements 5 and 6 has RAW capture.

But if your's is not working I suggest you get a new computer.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I was asked the other day how it would be possible to transmit an image of say 12 megapixels using a reduction of down to 750,000 pixels over the net.

The problem with transmitting 12,000,000 pixels is that of memory and time. If we can reduce the number of logic functions for the same amount of info, we will save an enormous amount of memory an time.

We do this using a mathematical algorithm or in simple language a set of discreet instructions that can be mathematically simplified at the start of the procedure, transmitted,and then mathematically expanded at the other end.

To really understand how this works you need to know a little about the maths of digital logic, such as Binary Arithmetic. A good grounding in calculus also helps.

J K

Reaction score
Peter

The Monk asked about this in an earlier post. Try THISand it's free.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Ja but it's nice to know what goes on in a computer.

/forum/smilies/nerd_smiley.gif

M

MarkTheSpark

I anyone using PS7 is having trouble with reducing the image size, I did a short Word doc on the subject for Monk, and will gladly forward it. I suspect that PS Elements will have the same menus.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

I have always had the same trouble with resizing Peter,........but i'm good with discreet instructions Ron!

R

RobD

This one is free to download and simple to resize images with..http://www.irfanview.com/

Once it's installed open the pic you want to resize, click on "Image" at the top, from the list choose "resize/resample", changethe picto the size you want then save it with a slightly different name so that you save the original...easy, it's pretty much the same with any photosoftware...

Be Lucky...