Does Braid Deteriorate in Water?

peterjg

Reaction score
At my club's forthcoming AGM a proposal has been put forward to allow braid fishing line to be used on marker float rods - until now braid has been banned.

Mono deteriorates but if someone gets cut off or snagged using braid does this mean that braided line (undeteriorating?) will be left in the lake. Obviously I am concerned for the fishes welfare (should they get snagged up by someone when playing a carp) or are my concerns needless? Does braid deteriorate in water? Your advice would be most appreciated.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
It depends what it's made of. Modern braided lines don't seem to deteriorate at all whereas the old fashioned carp-hooklink braid rots away after on season in the water.

B

Berty

As far as i'm aware Fluro doesn't break down either?......and if a fish is tethered on mono it won't break down fast enough!!

Bans are not the way, sensible angling is.

sam vimes

Reaction score
In my experience, it depends entirely on the braid concerned. However, I've yet to encounter a braid that doesn't deteriorate at all, even if it's just down to abrasion.

I can appreciate the concern and understand that many choose the lowest common denominator approach. However, anyone markering in a situation that is likely to result in the loss of enough line to be a problem really shouldn't be on your waters in the first place. On top of that, if you don't allow braid for this task, chances are that folk will use mono of greater breaking strains than they use for actual fishing. I'd agree that this mono will probably break down quicker than most braid, but what happens to the hypothetical fish that gets caught up in it before it has degraded?

As per normal, the inanimate object (braid) isn't the problem. Ban the planks that misuse stuff and abuse your waters and fish.;):)

terry m

Reaction score
Agree with Berty above 100%.

If a fish is tethered due to poor angling, reliance on deterioration of the main line, whatever the material is not a good strategy.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Agree with Berty above 100%.

If a fish is tethered due to poor angling, reliance on deterioration of the main line, whatever the material is not a good strategy.

I agree with this too,
I seen to many Anglers using the wrong breaking strain Braid (or mono) to match the size of the lures they were using, just right for a crack off or worse, a tethered fish!

mick b

Reaction score
Braided fishing (reel/running) line.

Braid is the common name used mainly in the UK.
Elsewhere braided fishing line is referred to more accurately.
I suspect its in the interests of the tackle companies to use a vague term rather than something that trading standards have a test for?

Spectra is the name for modern fishing braids, in Japan its PE, in most of Europe it's Dyneema but its all the same material.
It was invented by a Dutch company and is produced under license by a company in the US and another in Japan but its all the same material whatever tackle companies put on the box, and all comes from these three factories.
It is woven from individual fibres and it is the weaving process that makes it so expensive.

Spectra/PE/Dyneema is what bullet proof and anti-stab vests are made of, so it wouldn't be much use if it had a shelf life would it?

IT DOES NOT BREAK DOWN IN OR OUT OF WATER.

Dacron is the old type of braided fishing line and does break down if left exposed to the sun for long periods or stored wet. Essentially it rots through fungal action, but this takes years, not months.

I cannot comment on the various hooklength materials in use.

laguna

Reaction score
Spectra is the name for modern fishing braids, in Japan its PE, in most of Europe it's Dyneema but its all the same material.

I thought Mono (monofilament) was basically nylon and PE was woven Polyethylene? PE being a Jap standardised measuring system of line diameters originally used to rate silk thread.

cg74

Reaction score
At my club's forthcoming AGM a proposal has been put forward to allow braid fishing line to be used on marker float rods - until now braid has been banned.

Mono deteriorates but if someone gets cut off or snagged using braid does this mean that braided line (undeteriorating?) will be left in the lake. Obviously I am concerned for the fishes welfare (should they get snagged up by someone when playing a carp) or are my concerns needless? Does braid deteriorate in water? Your advice would be most appreciated.

Maybe I'm missing the point here, but I've never heard of a fish, any fish getting tethered in line left trailing from a marker or spod set up.:confused:

Peter, I really wouldn't worry.