?100 bait giveaway for Warrington AA members

MJ

Reaction score
Warrington Anglers have introduced a "Catch of the Month" competition, where members are invited to submit photographs of their catches to the club. The winning entry, as chosen by the committee each month, recieves £100 of the latest groundbait, particles, pellets,boilies, etc, courtesey of Bait-Tech.

What is bamboozling me is that so far we only have had one single entry (which won the March contest), and not a single entry last month! May is nearly over and I dont think we have had an entry yet this month either.

Now I know that a lot of specimen hunters are cagey about their catches, not wanting any publicity, and concerned about a "circus" following their successes, blah blah. Well fair enough. But if someone submitted a photo of a 1 ounce gudgeon last month, it would have won!

I know there are quite a lot of WAA members on the FM site, and I cant believe that you're all either (1) catching that well that you dont want to tell anyone, or (2) blanking all the time.

So, if you are out fishing on a WAA water this weekend, take a camera fishing with you, and get snapping. Send your entries, along withsome details of where, when and how you made your catch, to the email address stated in your licence. Dont forget to include your licence number when you do so. There is also a separate prize for Junior members, so if you take your kids fishing with you, get them to enter too.

Cant hurt if you get £100 worth of top quality bait for it can it?

I will display the winning contest entries on therevamped club website (which goes live next week.)

Tight Lines, Martin

Rich Jones

Reaction score
Will the competition carry on throughout the rest of the year?

Reason i ask is that i only fish the river venues with my WAA card and maybe this is the case with alot of members, and amounts of entries may pick up when the new season starts?

MJ

Reaction score
Hi Rich,

Yes mate, the competition is running every month throughout 2008. So we have over £2000 of top quality bait up for grabs.

Maybe you are right.. we do have quite a lot of river stretches and a lot of our members only join for the rivers. Still, there are loads of people fishing the stillwaters at the moment, and especially over the holiday periods when the weather has been ok. I know the fish are feeding because I have caught a few myself.. but committee members are exempt from entering the competition! pah!

Look forward to hopefully getting some entries from you.

Martin

Joey

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Rich Jones wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Will the competition carry on throughout the rest of the year?

Reason i ask is that i only fish the river venues with my WAA card and maybe this is the case with alot of members, and amounts of entries may pick up when the new season starts?</blockquote>
Same as you Rich, I only use my card for the rivers. I'm sure the entries will pick up after june 16th.

MJ

Reaction score
Hey all, just a quick update,

We did get some entries for the May competition thankfully. The Senior winner was a fine picture of a 8lb tench from Grey Mist Mere. Also, the £50 junior prize went to a young angler with a PB carp from the same water.

Just to clarify - the competition is a Catch Photo competition. The committee pick the winner on the quality of the photo and the merit of the capture. The biggest fish does not necessarily win.

Pix are on the website, which is completed and ready to go, we are just waiting for our old webmaster to come back from holiday this weekend, so he can change the direct the web address to the new site location. If anyone wants a sneak preview, pm me and I will give you the temporary address.

Tight Lines, Martin

Agent no.9

Reaction score
psssssst.........is it worth recording your capture for a hundred quid whenthe peace and tranquility of your favorite fishing water will be disturbed for ever.......... i think not

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

What happened to your other names..........

Anvil(hit man)Hart

and

Prowler

hoping Baz won't realize it's you ??

Reaction score
Bit too far for me to travel up from bristol for the day in hope of free bait

Good luck for the comp though, seems sill tat only few are entering, if your not lucky bait tech might pull out, Fairplay to the person who entered a 1oz gudgeon though

Ryan

MJ

Reaction score
Hi Ryan, we have a stretch of the River Wye.. that's not so far from Bristol. I believe some decent chub and barbel came out of there last season too. The entries should pick up when the website finally goes live.<blockquote class=quoteheader>Agent no.9 - 1st division,2nd section, 4th Floor, 3rd on the right wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>psssssst.........is it worth recording your capture for a hundred quid whenthe peace and tranquility of your favorite fishing water will be disturbed for ever.......... i think not</blockquote>

Hi (er.. Whoever you are), I guess it depends on what your capture is. We're one of the biggest clubs in the country, it's no secret what fish are in our waters. If someone catches a real surprise, something really special, then I can understand wanting to keep it under their hat maybe.

However, when the club gets no catch reports from any of our waters, despite numerous requests, we have to question whether it is worth paying the rents.

Agent no.9

Reaction score
MJ no disrespect to the club or its officials, it is truely a great club to be in,great value for money andhas some fantastic waters...i know i have fished most of them, but i have seen 1st hand what press can do to your favorite waters... let those up for a challange follow in the steps of others not be handed it on a plate.

MJ

Reaction score
I take your point Agent 9, and I know that catch publicity is a hot topic with a lot of regulars on FM.

I've been there myself, when I was a kid, 2 chaps had a great day's fishing on my favourite swim on the bridgy, one had an estimated 80lbs of carp. They put it in Angling Times and quoted the peg number.. after that the area was stitched up every weekend for months with people trying to catch a few single figure carp (such was the excitement back then, the days before commercial carp fisheries, when multiple carp catches were a novelty).

Hopefully though, we're striking the right balance with this competition. The aim is to give the club better information about our fisheries peformance, and also to provide some content for the website. Anglers just love looking at their trophy shots.

I am sure that those who want to keep their secrets will continue to do so, and hopefully some of those who dont mind sharing will have a pop at the contest.